Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How come AP Tests cost so much?

KaznackKaznack Posts: 1,985Registered User Senior Member
edited August 2007 in High School Life
My school handbook says, for each AP class, one has to pay $88 for the test by October or so. Why is this?
Post edited by Kaznack on

Replies to: How come AP Tests cost so much?

• newest newbnewest newb Posts: 751- Member
    The people grading your free response don't work for free.
  • jesperejespere Posts: 272Registered User Junior Member
    Material, shipping, coming up with the stuff, and well duh-for profit.

Depending on the state though its subsidized. '06 I paid $22 per test but after the MN governor wanted to set some high achievement standards, '07 was $8 per test.
  • sevitagensevitagen Posts: 880Registered User Member
    damn, that is expensive.

:-(

collegeboard wants me to be poor.
  • Jman2306Jman2306 Posts: 2,489Registered User Senior Member
    Florida pays for my AP exams. =]
  • ad.bcad.bc Posts: 700Registered User Junior Member
    one of my teachers said the graders do it for free but im not sure if he knew what he was talking about

anyway i think they charge so much because they can
  • nataliexcorenataliexcore Posts: 145Registered User Junior Member
    cos collegeboard enjoys nickeling and diming the **** out of desperate high school students.
  • AznN3rdAznN3rd Posts: 1,292Registered User Senior Member
    for profit.
    Actually, CB is non profit. This is good for execs, who splurge all the money at the end of the fiscal year. This also allows the company to be tax-free.
  • EarthquakeEarthquake Posts: 101Registered User Junior Member
    Graders do it for free. You know the these scorers are just everyday teachers, who teach the class of that certain AP exam.

AD.BC: my teacher is a scorer and he doesn't get paid to grade these tests. Collegeboard just chooses qualified teachers and asks them to come to Chicago anywhere else. They gather with other graders and go through the process.

Maybe the plane ticket is paid by collegeboard?
  • Kaatu Bara NiktoKaatu Bara Nikto Posts: 245Registered User Junior Member
    Have you checked to see if your school will pay some or all of it? Some do....

At least in theory, it's paying for the costs involved. Not just the direct ones like the printing of the tests, but the indirect ones like CB employees.
  • AznN3rdAznN3rd Posts: 1,292Registered User Senior Member
    My school charges $90 per test, so I guess it actually charges extra fees. lol
  • MetdethGNRMetdethGNR Posts: 952Registered User Member
    My school pays for me! =D (and everyone else's...)

Which is awesome 'cause I'm taking a bunch... the practice workbooks are expensive enough (20 bucks for each)
  • IlikeDiceIlikeDice Posts: 578Registered User Member
    There are year long waiting lists to become a free response AP grader...I think it's very voluntary (my poor calculus teacher should know :(
  • helpmegetin!helpmegetin! Posts: 1,459Registered User Member
    doesnt the school take a lot of it?
  • JBVirtuosoJBVirtuoso Posts: 4,579Registered User Senior Member
    My school doesn't pay for any. Of course, it offers no APs but it "strongly encourages" students to take AP tests anyway, for the full fee.

The reason is that CollegeBoard wants to make sure that only rich white kids can take the tests, just like with the SAT.
  • PKswmr76PKswmr76 Posts: 1,669Registered User Senior Member
    ^ lol

I'm taking 7 next year at $83 for each :-(

add on prep books for each and I'm out $850