Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How do you get a Varsity letter in a sport?

ElCommandoElCommando Posts: 958- Member
edited March 2005 in High School Life
Im on track...and on Varsity obviously. I asked my coach and he said he doesnt know!......anybody have any idea how you get one?
Post edited by ElCommando on

Replies to: How do you get a Varsity letter in a sport?

• odanodan Posts: 468Registered User Member
    As in the letter itself? In my school the coach gives it to you after the season is over...it's sitting near me as we speak...errr type.
  • ElCommandoElCommando Posts: 958- Member
    i guess the letter itself?

...errr type. What does that mean?
  • sarorahsarorah Posts: 5,767- Senior Member
    "As we speak"..s/he's not speaking..they're typing. You see?
    ohhh yeah...dont treat me like im a junior in high school its not very nice.
  • fatcookiefatcookie Posts: 186Registered User Junior Member
    the coach give it to you at the end of the season.
  • sempitern555sempitern555 Posts: 3,350- Senior Member
    yeah, mine gave it to me at a reception along with a few pins/hats/ other stuff
  • bcp05bcp05 Posts: 280Registered User Junior Member
    We literally get a letter after every season. Its a giant Bellarmine B that is sewed on to the upper left corner of your letterman jacket.
    Cool...but how do you achieve one...not just the coach gives you it but do you have to win meets and stuff?
  • BassDadBassDad Posts: 5,381Registered User Senior Member
    Usually, everyone on a varsity team (even the subs on the basketball team who never get into a game) receives their letter after the season is over. Some schools have awards dinners where they are handed out and others just have the coaches give them to the students. Sometimes they hold on to them until you have returned your uniforms.
    no not really, everyone gets it but then there are people who get special awards, most spirited, mvp, best offense/defense etc...
  • shrek2004shrek2004 Posts: 3,460Registered User Senior Member
    at my school the top 3 in each event is varsity
    at my school we have varsity and jv teams, everyone is guaranteed a jv spot and seniors are guaranteed a varsity spot. therefore, if you are on the team and you don't have any major screwups(like getting caught with a bottle of whiskey at an away game, happened to a teammate of mine) you get a letter
  • plagmayerplagmayer Posts: 256Registered User Junior Member
    at my school, you have to play varsity in 60% of the games/meets for each sport. So you could be on the vasity basketball team and not recieve a letter if you don't play in most of the games. I think you can automatically get one if you played a sport for all 4 years and the coach reconmmends you.
  • elvenqueen10elvenqueen10 Posts: 786Registered User Member
    it depends on the school. in my old public school, you needed to play half the games, and you got a letter at the end of the year. but at my school now, your first year on varsity you get a letter then you get pins. for track and swimming and what not if you run/swim in half the races at the varsity level you should get a letter.
    oh crap i already missed a couple.... =(