Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Christmas gifts for a high school senior going off to college?

wdrmhbswdrmhbs Posts: 387Registered User Member
edited December 2008 in High School Life
I didn't know where else to post this haha

But my parents have really been nagging me about christmas and what I want... The only thing I really am concerned about is getting into college. What are some top gifts for HS seniors? I think I may want to do something with languages in college, but I would feel stupid asking for some kind of language program.

Any suggestions?
Post edited by wdrmhbs on

Replies to: Christmas gifts for a high school senior going off to college?

• romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Posts: 21,807Registered User Senior Member
    I'm asking for a language program, lol. Latin.

My parents gave my sister a huge gift certificate for Ikea and a laptop the Christmas before college. They also set up a trade account and put money in it that she could manage and use for spending money in college if it did well.
  • wdrmhbswdrmhbs Posts: 387Registered User Member
    Is it Rosetta Stone?:)

I was thinking a laptop, but the only thing is... they are pretty expensive haha

Then again, I will need one anyways :P
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Posts: 21,807Registered User Senior Member
    No, I'm actually asking for textbook and workbook (yes, that officially makes me a geek :].)

Lol, yes that's what my parents figured... "Well, if we're going to have to get her one anyways, why not just get it now?"
    Thanks for your suggestions:)
  • HarrietMWelschHarrietMWelsch Posts: 2,119Registered User Senior Member
    Best to wait on the laptop until you know where you're going for sure - different schools have different requirements/suggestions about speed and capacity, and if you're getting a new one anyway, you'll want to keep an eye on those specs.

How about speakers for your ipod?
  • Sheed30Sheed30 Posts: 12,425Registered User Senior Member
    I think the best would be like a laptop or something that can last throughout college
    Good suggestion, Harriet! I am actually getting a speaker system thing for my sister's ipod. I have a different kind of mp3 player and I really wouldn't use it to play music outside of my ears. Kind of hard to explain. I am weird like that
  • idnoidno Posts: 137Registered User Junior Member
    Ditto all of the responses above.
    I would either get...
    1) Laptop
    2) iPod
    3) iPod speakers
    4) Digital Camera
    5) Ikea giftcard (to buy dorm things in the future)

:)
  • -Lurker--Lurker- Posts: 1,420Registered User Senior Member
    why would you get a laptop? The later you get a computer, the less expensive it will be and the better it will be.
    Why would it be less expensive?
  • sleepyzsleepyz Posts: 297Registered User Junior Member
    Well if you aim on getting a special computer, the older it is the least expensive it will be as time goes on. You can easily get a nice desktop for what $400 off Dell?

I would get some giftcards, too. Like what idno said, "too buy dorm things in the future).
  • classof09classof09 Posts: 944Registered User Member
    I would definately say a digital camera. Something to record your memories of high school with and something to keep through college. :)
  • bulletandpimabulletandpima Posts: 9,826Registered User Senior Member
    What about a digital frame...
    Laptops go on sale big time in August + some colleges give you a break because they have a deal with whoever they want you to have. Finally the laptop you get now will be cheaper in August, so why get it
  • anisha08anisha08 Posts: 1,438Registered User Member
    I think that a giftcard to Starbucks/Chipotle would be awesome. Or a shopping spree on Threadless.com. :D
  • fizix2fizix2 Posts: 3,570Registered User Senior Member
    As long as we're listing really expensive gifts, why not get a car or something?