Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

passion vs. intelligence

NarcissaNarcissa Posts: 3,935- Senior Member
edited March 2008 in High School Life
which one is harder to "obtain"
and which one would you prefer?

I think I used to want to be really smart, but the people viewed as "smart" (research awards, USAMO, RSI, etc) by us, or who regular people who don't know much about college and this stuff, are people who get where they are because of their passion.

there are many intelligent people in this world, but sometimes they're unrecognized because they're not passionate about anything.

I think you're lucky if you're born smart, but you're even luckier if you're very passionate about something and spend a lot of time on it (or even if you're passionate about...everything! I know people who have at least 5 or 6 passions--and not mini-passions or wishy washy "I'm president of the ___ club so that must show passion" types. Each one of their "talents" is enough to stand on its own and make CCers go 0.o). Unlike some of us who just do a bunch of little things without really knowing what we like the best.
Post edited by Narcissa on

Replies to: passion vs. intelligence

• Infinite_TruthInfinite_Truth Posts: 570Registered User Member
    I'm passionate but lacking in intelligence compared to the 2400 SAT'ers, even though I'm still quite smart. I'd prefer intelligence, as lots of people have passion - passion is just knowing what you want, which you can get whenever you want. Intelligence is a gift that is prized and cannot be obtained no matter what, unless one is born with it.
  • Lu JinnyLu Jinny Posts: 129Registered User Junior Member
    I think that both are difficult to develop. Preference is probably just a matter of which one you don't have. I'm much more intelligent than I am passionate, and I think that passion is more important. I really wish I was more passionate about things. I love and enjoy different things, but I don't think that I can say that I am that passionate about any of them.

I recently watched "Rudy," a true-story movie about a short, not-so-academically-inclined, and not very athletically adept guy who wanted to play football for Notre Dame. He succeeded in his dream, despite everyone telling him that he couldn't, because of passion, not intelligence. I could never do anything like he did, because I really doubt that I care about anything as much as he cared about football.
  • paki786paki786 Posts: 862Registered User Member
    a mixture of both is the key to success. However, what is the use of intelligence when there will be nothing to apply it to?
    Passion guides your life to a good direction and intelligence not always does. So if it is one over the other, I will for sure pick passion.
  • lunar_yearslunar_years Posts: 542Registered User Member
    Well... There's nothing sadder than an unmotivated genius. You just want to shake them and shove them out into the world so they can freaking do something.

Personally, my problem is that I'm more ambitious than I am talented, but not so profoundly passionate about anything that I'd rise above moderate success. I'm too pragmatic and shoot down my own aspirations really readily.
  • AeroEngineer3141AeroEngineer3141 Posts: 3,607Registered User Senior Member
    Harder to obtain? Intelligence. Emotion is easier to answer to than reason.
    Prefer? Passion. If it's passion for the right thing, you'll go far in life, no matter how smart (or stupid) you are.

How about passion for being intelligent.
  • ChaiMexChaiMex Posts: 381Registered User Member
    I actually am not all that bright according to tests, and I find Passion and enthusiasm are so much harder to come across then Intelligence. I for instance am more passionate then intelligence, Passion is drive. Drive will get things done, it doesn't matter how smart Joe or Bob is if they don't care.
    I find myself to be very Ambitious and un-trusting. I would prefer Passion, as it is key. Just because you are smart doesn't mean you will do good in life, but if you're passionate...unless you trip and every bump in the road you will almost always get somewhere...at least in this country...
  • teenage_clicheteenage_cliche Posts: 3,522Registered User Senior Member
    Agree with AeroEngineer's first couple of points.
  • skatjskatj Posts: 837Registered User Member
    You need both, although if I were to choose between zero passion (no interests at all) and zero intelligence (one of those kids who are happy about getting a D so they can graduate), I would choose the latter.

Personally, I think intelligence is a lot harder to obtain than passion (I find intelligence more correlated to SAT scores than GPA, btw), but that's just because I find a lot of things interesting and even if I don't go into engineering I would not mind doing biology or some other subject.
  • TaggartTaggart Posts: 1,486Registered User Member
    Intelligence. I can act out passion.
  • _daniel_daniel Posts: 663Registered User Member
    for the record, not everyone is "born with intelligence".
  • AeneasAeneas Posts: 253Registered User Junior Member
    Intelligence without passion is next to useless. What use is being a genius if you don't have the drive to do anything?

Both are rather difficult to obtain if you lack them. Intelligence is something you're born with and passion is having a deep interest in something, which is, in my opinion, more (but not entirely) nature in the nature vs nurture debate. If you can inspire passion in yourself for anything, kudos for you, but I have yet to meet anyone who can.

With that said, I would much rather have passion. Passionately using whatever little amount of intelligence I have for something I love will make me much happier than intelligently doing something I have no passion for.
  • thelittlemermaidthelittlemermaid Posts: 1,006Registered User Member
    Passion, I think, is harder to obtain. A lot of people just don't care at all about anything, much less care enough to actually be passionate about something. There are plenty of intelligent people, but they lack a passion for something. And without passion, what enjoyment are they going to get out of their intelligence?

I'd rather have passion. I think I do have passion for a few things, and I'm pretty smart, but not crazy smart or anything. I'm glad that I actually do care, but I think it's sad that a lot of people in my school lack caring or passion for anything-even for the school itself.
  • ProtheroProthero Posts: 237Registered User Junior Member
    Intelligence is harder to obtain I would say since it's the way you think and relate ideas. Whereas passion is just motivation, you can have a motivation for anything.

For me passion is harder to obtain, it's not about understanding the concepts or material in school but it's the time spent memorizing, I lack the motivation to spend the time on the work. I work best with goals, incentives, competition, and gratification (should have chosen a college as a freshman...).
  • Newjack88Newjack88 Posts: 1,839Registered User Senior Member
    You're born with intelligence. Do you mean wisdom, which is obtained through learning?