Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Cross-cultural solutions

xolalaxolala Posts: 191Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2010 in High School Life
Has anyone done it? It's not a scam right? Do you pay for your own plane ticket?

http://www.crossculturalsolutions.org/who_volunteers/teens/default.asp
Post edited by xolala on

Replies to: Cross-cultural solutions

• cesaronicesaroni Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    have you got any information if it is a scam???
  • cesaronicesaroni Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    have y got any info if it is scam??
  • rnichornicho Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    Keep in mind, If an NGO is asking YOU to pay for expenses OTHER than your air fare, they are making money off of you. In most cases you can fly from anywhere you may be in the world for a maximum price of $2000.00, meaning, if I leave NY and fly to China this is my max price I would pay to the airlines in the busy season. Most "placement" companies charge two to five times this depending on the length of stay. This is "big" business for them, in most of these undeveloped countries it cost less than $10.00 a month to feed you including bottled water, you will not eat McDonalds everyday, lol. I have wrote extensively about these programs that target the young and ignorant. It is a shame that MOST of these companies that "place" you with organizations tell me that the cost would have been less if you just had called or contacted them direct. Thier intentions ARE NOT valor or benevolent. Always start with the Peace Corp., This will be YOUR best solution and they DO NOT make a profit off of you. These not-for-profit organizations do not "technically" make a profit but pay their administration HIGH wages to participate to give validity to the organization, and furnish them lavish vacations abroad. Stay with the ones you know. Most of the rest are trying to "scam" you for high fees. Plus you can assure YOUR safety with organizations such as, Red Cross, United Way, United Nations and Peace corp. These organizations have more to offer at a better "price". If all you are looking for is a cheap vacation, go to Expedia! Many of these Organizations wil actually pay YOU if you have a degree such as "Teaching" with a two to three year commitment. Fresh out of college this is an excellent opportunity for you. I have a neice that has been in Senegal and Beijing on these contracts. Just be safe and search extensively for the perfect fit and be "leery" of companies that want to "place" you with other organizations. You will find that the companies they "place" you with could have given you volunteer work and had arrangements with most airlines for a discounted rate. be smart, if it sounds "fishy" go with your gut instinct.
  • earthUCSDearthUCSD Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    CCS is not a scam. I have personally went through them to go to Pursical, Costa Rica this spring break for a program called Alternative Breaks at UCSD. I was very, very pleased at what they had to offer us before, during, and after the trip.

They really try to make your presence welcomed there by having such friendly staff who always make an effort to talk to you even if you don't speak their language.

They prepare 3 meals a day for you, they give you a room in their home base, they organize cultural activities almost every day (which does cost a lot), they place you at a volunteer site (which you pay for the materials and work as labor), and they keep in contact with you every week before you depart your home country and a few weeks after you leave the home base.

This alone is worth the price, and directly contributing money and time into another community is a form of philanthropy that helps you as an individual grow so much that you wouldn't want your money back after the trip. Everyone on my trip had a memorable time and have really developed and grown as people, as active citizens themselves and if you want someone to vouch, we have more than plenty at UCSD to do so for you.
  • HarveyLewisHarveyLewis Posts: 2,200Registered User Junior Member
    Hang on, how many of you are spammers? I can't tell.
  • thisgirlisaGthisgirlisaG Posts: 1,338- Member
    HAHAHA, omg...true story, harvey D: : P