Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How to Set Up a Debate?

Infinite_TruthInfinite_Truth Posts: 570Registered User Member
edited May 2008 in High School Life
How do you set up a debate? What staff is needed, besides the moderator, and what usually is the format? I need to set up a debate in about a month in which I'll be debating one of my local politicians about an issue. What should the general flow of the questions be like? Such as questions directed to both people, questions specifically asked to one person based on his or her view, or such? Thanks.
Post edited by Infinite_Truth on

Replies to: How to Set Up a Debate?

• Megan2010Megan2010 Posts: 320Registered User Member
    It depends on the moderator. In most debates I've taken part in the question is directed at both participants so they can each answer. However while I was at a local debate tounament, I found that the questions were asked to a specific participant. As far as staff it depends on how big your debate os. Hope this helps.
  • hpa10hpa10 Posts: 1,906Registered User Senior Member
    hmmm. interesting. why are you debating him? did he do something wrong or do you not like the guy? sorry, just curious
  • PyroclasmPyroclasm Posts: 380Registered User Junior Member
    usually you start flaming the other guy using broken 1337speak

ad hominems are also good

i bet you'll win now
  • aristotle1990aristotle1990 Posts: 558Registered User Member
    Lol it's super easy. Just read this.
    I argue very well. Ask any of my remaining friends. I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me. You too can win arguments. Simply follow these rules:

* Drink Liquor.

Suppose you're at a party and some hotshot intellectual is expounding on the economy of Peru, a subject you know nothing about. If you're drinking some health-fanatic drink like grapefruit juice, you'll hang back, afraid to display your ignorance, while the hotshot enthralls your date. But if you drink several large martinis, you'll discover you have STRONG VIEWS about the Peruvian economy. You'll be a WEALTH of information. You'll argue forcefully, offering searing insights and possibly upsetting furniture. People will be impressed. Some may leave the room.
    Read the whole thing.
  • Courtney8Courtney8 Posts: 397Registered User Member
    hahaa aristotle.
  • MelancholyDaneMelancholyDane Posts: 643Registered User Member
    Strawmen are your friends. So are false dilemmas and flawed analogies.
  • skpskp Posts: 602Registered User Member
    You're debating a local politician? I thought things like that were mainly question and answer. However, just do your research, come with good questions for the politician, and prepare to respond to the politician's rebuttals, if it is a debate scenario. Also, don't act like you know it all or make anything up. But that's just the basics.