Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Tips to pass my road test!

emeritaemerita Posts: 3Registered User New Member
edited July 2010 in High School Life
Hi there! I was hoping some of you could give me some tips to pass my road test. I live in New York (rochester). I failed my road test once already because I messed up my parallel parking and didn't yield to a car at a 2 way stop :( I'm really nervous about my next test even though I have been driving for about a year and a half and took 5 proffessional driving lessons (last fall). I feel like I am a good driver but the thought of the test makes me sick! Being in college and living at home I will have to drive there in the fall so I really need my license. What are some tips you could give me to help me pass? And how much more should I practice before I take my test? Thanks!
Post edited by emerita on

Replies to: Tips to pass my road test!

• CDN_dancerCDN_dancer Posts: 2,579Registered User Senior Member
    Watch your speed! Especially in playground/school zones.
  • emeritaemerita Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    I believe where I take my test there are no schools or playgrounds. Its a very residential city area with a lot of stop signs, thats about it. Seems simple, but they are harsh. Should I go a little under the speed limit just to be safe?

Ok so I failed the first time because I didn't yield to a car at a 2 way stop. I was the one stopped obviously, but the other car coming from my left was really far away. Next time if that happens should I just wait for the car to clear the road entirely?

Also at a stop sign, I know you stop completely before it. But what if you can't see down the road to look right and left? Like if theres something in the way. Could you creep out a bit after you stop completely? Or will they mark you off for that?
  • AeroEngineer3141AeroEngineer3141 Posts: 3,607Registered User Senior Member
    Don't think so much. Being a good driver means being able to make split second decisions.

Don't drive nervously. Learn to drive with a bit of confidence, even if you don't feel to good about yourself.
    I'd say just make sure the needle is right on the speed you want, or slightly below. If it's slightly above, it shouldn't be a huge deal. As for stop signs/clearing intersections, air on the side of caution; it's better to wait a little longer to be absolutely sure it's safe to go through.

Personally I would stop at the stop line, and then creep forward slightly if I can't see clearly (i.e. a tree/bush is in the way) I don't know how else you're supposed to do it (install a periscope on your car?)

Just relax, and don't be too tense. You're more likely to make mistakes if you're anxious/stressed.
  • Johnson181Johnson181 Posts: 4,142Registered User Senior Member
    If it's slightly above, it shouldn't be a huge deal.
    ALWAYS go below the speed limit while taking the test. I know someone who was failed for ~3-5 miles over the limit.
    Could you creep out a bit after you stop completely? Or will they mark you off for that?
    Creep up a little, and make sure after this creep you're still completely stopped.

One thing you can do is specifically practice in the area where the test is given. When I took my road test, the entire area was foreign to me so it added a lot of pressure that I didn't need.
  • lilyrobinlilyrobin Posts: 489Registered User Member
    Be careful about going under the speed limit too much though. Really you want to be just right, even though it's hard. In my state you fail automatically if you go either five over OR five under too.
  • altindiegirlaltindiegirl Posts: 335Registered User Member
    Don't crash? Lols, that's all I've got...
  • aznschoolboi22aznschoolboi22 Posts: 314Registered User Junior Member
    Don't Drink Drugs
  • fizix2fizix2 Posts: 3,570Registered User Senior Member
    Go to a location known for easy examiners.

I bumped into one of the poles last week and still passed :) (But I live in Florida.)

Also, do a lot of looking around.
  • bartlebybartleby Posts: 1,222Registered User Senior Member
    Exaggerate your head turns at stop signs and when switching lanes.

"I was the one stopped obviously, but the other car coming from my left was really far away. Next time if that happens should I just wait for the car to clear the road entirely?"

Yes. Be careful to a ridiculous degree.
  • kat41911kat41911 Posts: 502Registered User Member
    No offense to Johnson181, but don't follow their advice. In NY your learner permit is NOT valid in road test sites, so you aren't allowed to practice driving there.
  • Johnson181Johnson181 Posts: 4,142Registered User Senior Member
    ^Really? That's weird. How can they really say that (or control it) if it's a residential area though?

Everything else I said applies to NY though.
  • emeritaemerita Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    Yeah actually I guess the examiners stand on the street corners and record license plates of the cars that go past and if you show up in that car to take a test you automatically fail! Or so I've heard.

Thanks for all the tips! They help a lot. I just feel really nervous thinking about the test but when I drive I feel so comfortable.

Also when I parallel park, I have trouble figuring out when I should turn the wheel back in order to pull into the space completely. Could anyone give me tips about that?
  • ModulationModulation Posts: 1,877Registered User Senior Member
    Look around a lot. Like when you're lane-changing and turning. Just look like you're careful.
    Also when I parallel park, I have trouble figuring out when I should turn the wheel back in order to pull into the space completely. Could anyone give me tips about that?

I remember being told to turn it back when your side mirror/steering wheel is in line with the back of the car you parking behind. I am terrible at parallel parking though...(last time I tried, it took me 5 attempts to get my car decently straight)