Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Best Precalculus textbook/What Precalc do you use?

shoreshore Posts: 571Registered User Member
edited June 2008 in High School Life
I'm going to be doing AP BC Calc this year at Andover but I'm looking to solidify my Precalculus (seems unusual I understand) but the dilemma for me is that i come from Australia where maths is integrated. ie. We don't just do Algebra for one year and then Geometry the next and so on. We do a little bit of everything every year. So it means I can cope and do well in Calculus but it also means I've missed out on the hardest topics of Precalculus as I was meant to take them in later years at Australia. So I was wondering if anyone knows a really good precalculus textbook I can use to brush up on the hardest stuff in Precalc before I go to Andover and BC Calc.

I know some of you will say just to do the Precalc at Andover but the thing is I already know all/most the stuff in AB Calc thats not in PreCalc and I think I can cope/do well in BC Calc if I just brush up on my Precalc and with it being summer and all, I have the time to do so.

So thanks heaps for a quick reply!
Post edited by shore on

Replies to: Best Precalculus textbook/What Precalc do you use?

• aigiqinfaigiqinf Posts: 3,938Registered User Senior Member
    Pre-cal= Integrated Math IV

If you've had that you'll be fine.
  • shoreshore Posts: 571Registered User Member
    Okay, so Integrated Math IV will help will all my trig and other tough Pre-calc units.

What are some tough Pre-calc topics?
  • proletariat2proletariat2 Posts: 3,519Registered User Senior Member
    Conics and matrices can be tough, but they don't appear much in Calc BC. Review vectors and trig. Logarithms are easy, but are still worth review.
  • lil_killer129lil_killer129 Posts: 4,706Registered User Senior Member
    We don't just do Algebra for one year and then Geometry the next and so on. We do a little bit of everything every year.
    Isn't that how it is over here in America? That's how it was for me.
  • proletariat2proletariat2 Posts: 3,519Registered User Senior Member
    ^That's how it was for me, too, but the traditional math schedule is Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, Precalc.
  • aigiqinfaigiqinf Posts: 3,938Registered User Senior Member
    Okay, so Integrated Math IV will help will all my trig and other tough Pre-calc units.

What are some tough Pre-calc topics?
    At least in North Carolina, if you use the Core-plus books Integrated Math IV=Pre-cal.

Some people say that Pre-cal covers parametric and polar equations... but we never did that, so I think it varies. Make sure you've at least covered the unit circle with all identities... some people cover summation... but I'm not sure how common that is.
  • lil_killer129lil_killer129 Posts: 4,706Registered User Senior Member
    Why do you need pre-calc at all? Can't you just go from algebra to calculus? That's what I did.