Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Interview at a Magnet School

NarutoHunterNarutoHunter Posts: 20Registered User New Member
edited June 2008 in High School Life
I have it in 2 days!!! >_<
I'm so nervous.

How can I prepare?
It's for TJ if anyone knows about it.

Help?
Post edited by NarutoHunter on

Replies to: Interview at a Magnet School

• flyingpopatflyingpopat Posts: 89Registered User Junior Member
    im pretty sure majority of CCers will know about TJ, it's #1 in the country lol.

i suggest just treat it like any other interview; be polite/courteous, and be yourself (which imo is the most important). also, dress to impress.

good luck!

ps: i know how nervous you must be, i'm currently a junior at high tech high school in NJ, ranked #7 in nation lol. i remember applying to it back in 8th grade and how nerveracking it was
  • NarutoHunterNarutoHunter Posts: 20Registered User New Member
    I made a thread earlier about admission in TJ and only 1 person replied... :S
    So I assumed not many ppl knew about it.
    But yea, thanks for replying. :)

I know they're probably gonna like ask why I wanna go to TJ and what I can offer ... but saying stuff like 'Oh cuz it's the best... ' is sort of cliche isn't it?
    Any advice on how to stand out but in a good way, lol?
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Posts: 22,584Registered User Senior Member
    You might want to try putting this in the prep school admissions forums.

I can't really help other than to say be really confident in your answers, even if you don't know what the "right" answer is. Also, answer questions truthfully and not just what you think they want to hear, people see right through that and your answers WILL sound uniform.

Good luck!!!!
  • glassesarechicglassesarechic Posts: 5,481Registered User Senior Member
    I definitely agree with the other posters: Be yourself! They'll expect you to be nervous, and working through your nervousness to find the most honest answer--even if you can't just spit it out right then and there--will be more impressive than any cookie-cutter answer. Here are some questions they might ask you, if you want to mull over some responses:

-Why do you want to attend TJ? (the most obnoxious question because it's so open-ended)

-How have you pursued technology in your middle school?

-What can TJ offer you?

In general, the questions will probably be pretty general. They want to get a feel for who you are and how well you'll take advantage of the school's resources.

And make sure to dress neatly, have a quick something to eat beforehand to get you energized (NO caffeine products however--I'm an addict, but even I can't handle a coffee or Java Monster before things that make me nervous), and try not to feel too uncomfortable. I always breathe in deeply when I feel overwhelmed, focus my train of thought, and then proceed answering the question.

Good luck!
  • LinkGCN4LinkGCN4 Posts: 45- Junior Member
    TJ's quizbowl team is other-worldly.
  • aigiqinfaigiqinf Posts: 4,004Registered User Senior Member
    I'll I can say is make sure you know a good amount about the school-- and it might help if you're pretty sure what you want to major in. Then you can talk about how TJ could help you.
  • hpa10hpa10 Posts: 1,906Registered User Senior Member
    TJ? nope, never heard of it :)

p.s. good luck.