Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

IB grade conversion

thisyearsgirlthisyearsgirl Registered User Posts: 1,953 Senior Member
edited May 2005 in High School Life
I've been trying to figure out how to convert my GPA from the IB 7-point scale to the American 4-point scale. According to the notes on my report card,

7=A+
6=A-
5=B
4=C.

Logically, then, a 4.0 (an A on the traditional scale) should be equivalent to a 6.5, directly between A- and A+. Does anyone know if this is right? Is there an "official" conversion scale? Will adcoms assume that 7.0=4.0 and thereby hurt my average?

(Then there's the part about taking what amounts to honors classes throughout high school without the benefit of weighted averages, but that's a completely different rant--ah, the loveliness that is IB.)
Post edited by thisyearsgirl on

Replies to: IB grade conversion

• snow-wingssnow-wings Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    I have been wondering about the scale too ... sorry I can't be of much help.
  • thisyearsgirlthisyearsgirl Registered User Posts: 1,953 Senior Member
    Anyone else? For me, it would mean the difference between a 3.85 and a 3.57...agh.
    snow-wings -- Ooh, I just noticed you're part of the class of 2007! (I am too)
  • warblersrulewarblersrule Super Moderator Posts: 9,249 Senior Member
    I don't really know how the IB conversion would work, so I did a search. The only thing I could find is the conversion the University of British Columbia uses.

7=96%=A
    6=90%=A-
    5=86%=B
    4=76%=C
    3=70%=C-
    That's pretty bizarre, because at my school a 3 wouldn't be a C-, but an F. The scale you posted seems to hurt students with high grades and be more lenient on students with low grades.
  • warblersrulewarblersrule Super Moderator Posts: 9,249 Senior Member
    I was guesstimating that you were on a 10 point scale. My school uses:
    93+ A
    85-92 B
    77-84 C
    70-76 D
    0-69 F

By my school's grading scale,
    7=A
    6=B
    5=C
    4=D
    3=F
    :)
    No, I'm on a 7-point scale, as detailed in the first post. I don't know the percentages, because it varies between classes and teachers.
  • snow-wingssnow-wings Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    I am on a seven-point scale too, sorry I didn't reply sooner. Yeah for 2007!
    I actually asked our college counselor about this, and she says colleges don't convert--because a 7 is technically an A+, which puts us at a disadvantage compared to the four-point scale. A 7 is very difficult to get, and no one ever has a 7.0 unweighted GPA.
  • otacon88otacon88 Registered User Posts: 241 Junior Member
    i'm in IB, and my school does the regular 4.0 GPA. only our IB tests are in the 7 point scale.