Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

GPA Weighting

raideraderaiderade Posts: 2,499- Senior Member
edited October 2008 in High School Life
I don't feel my school fairly weights GPA. AP courses get 4.5 and honors and college prep (the lowest section) get 4.25 for an A+. I am taking courses my school doesn't even allow most students in my grade to take and have by far the most rigorous schedule. However, I earn B's and B+s in some AP classes and therefore have a lower GPA and a lower class rank. If I took the college prep or honors courses, I honestly feel I would easily have an A+. Basically, I'm not sure that my rank will even be in the top quintile(the most specific my school will rank) since my grade only has 60 students and I really don't think it's fair. Is this something I would need to explain on my apps?
Post edited by raiderade on

Replies to: GPA Weighting

• MoodretsMoodrets Posts: 1,497Registered User Member
    In your counselor evaluation you should get a note describing the weighting system at your school and how you're taking a rigorous schedule (the most rigorous no less, haha). You should be fine.

You might want to emphasize in an essay how you've ever so much more intellectual ambition than your peers or something.
  • raideraderaiderade Posts: 2,499- Senior Member
    bump
    10char
  • LMU10LMU10 Posts: 869Registered User Member
    Idk if I like ours.

Dual Enrollment / AP Classes = add .04 on to your culm. GPA per semester
    Honors Courses = add .02 on to your culm. GPA per semester

So basically 10 AP's would get you only .8 plus however many honors it'd be like a 5.0. The highest school GPA's in 20 years are 5.05, and 4.96.
  • toastmastertoastmaster Posts: 1,218Registered User Senior Member
    mm AP and honors are weighted the same here. please, someone else tell me that that makes them throw up.
  • ComputerizedComputerized Posts: 361Registered User Junior Member
    My school doesn't weigh at all, either.
  • raideraderaiderade Posts: 2,499- Senior Member
    The highest you could possibly get at my school is about a 4.3 since freshman year there are no AP's. Sophomore there is only 1 or occasionally 2. Junior and senior year you can take 4 or 5 and you always have to take theology which is considered a college prep class. So a straight A+ average would give you ~4.3 weighted.