Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Benefits of cheating

changofchinachangofchina Posts: 104Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2008 in High School Life
i know this sounds ridiculous, but are there any benefits of cheating?
Post edited by changofchina on

Replies to: Benefits of cheating

• jamesfordjamesford Posts: 3,447Registered User Senior Member
    You don't have to study. Ironically enough, some people spend so much time preparing to cheat that they could study and save time.

Other than that, there aren't really any benefits. You're basically screwed if you're caught: failed assignment/semester grade, bad reputation with the teacher, etc.
  • josh5soxjosh5sox Posts: 230Registered User Junior Member
    When you cheat you spend a good amount of time preparing to cheat but you don't learn anything, when you study you spend the same amount of time but you, hopefully, actually learn something. That is not a benefit but one benefit would be that you become...sly? lol idk what you could say. Cheating works most of the time but its just as much effort
  • MillancadMillancad Posts: 5,935Registered User Senior Member
    This guy near me in French cheats off of me or this other girl all the time. The language doesn't really matter for him because he's moving to some European country and getting married next year, so he's concentrating on refreshing his knowledge of that language, not French. He does pretty well on account of us. It's not like it costs me anything, since my teacher adores me and never notices, and I don't study for anything ever.

A guy in English cheated off of me once he was moved near me. Before, he had low grades. Once he started sitting next to me, he had much higher ones.

So I guess there are benefits.
  • mross5mross5 Posts: 147Registered User Junior Member
    well i can tell you this much a few kids at my school were chronic cheaters and it eventually led to them, no joke, actually stealing the SAT test. They were all kicked out of school and have a lot of thinking to do about the rest of their lives. If you ask me I'd say cheating on a small scale makes no difference if you don't care abou the material but you start to rely on it then you're heading down a dark tunnel.
  • JakeusJakeus Posts: 369Registered User Member
    This isn't for chronic cheaters, but for good students:

Say that you have an insane Spanish teacher (I know most people do). She tells you that there will be a quiz tomorrow over some simple concepts. You know how hard her quizzes are, so you sit down and study the textbook for well over 2 hours, trying to over-prepare and to be ready for anything.

You take the quiz, and you feel ready. You know the concepts completely; however, there are numerous words you and your classmates had never seen, and knowing those words are vital to getting a good grade. There is a spanish dictionary inside of your desk, and your Spanish teacher is busy surfing the net on her computer. Complaining is futile; you have tried before. Will you cheat to get the grade you deserve? Or will you be a good student and try your best?
  • blu_g8oradeblu_g8orade Posts: 748Registered User Member
    You take the quiz, and you feel ready. You know the concepts completely; however, there are numerous words you and your classmates had never seen, and knowing those words are vital to getting a good grade. There is a spanish dictionary inside of your desk, and your Spanish teacher is busy surfing the net on her computer. Complaining is futile; you have tried before. Will you cheat to get the grade you deserve? Or will you be a good student and try your best?
    hell yeah. i'd definitely open up that dictionary. why would i allow myself to fail when i can easily get a better grade?

there are two brands of "cheating" that i employ from time to time.

one is copying answers on classwork/homework. i do that all the time, and so do most HS students i know. if it's a class that i know i need to understand, like Calc or Chem, i won't copy. but in general, we get so much BS busywork in school, and i'm not going to waste my time and energy doing stuff that won't help me any.

secondly, if i have a big test with a lot of memorization, i'll make a program on my TI-84 and load it up with formulas, notes, etc. or i'll make a little slip of paper and write notes on it. even when i study a lot, i'll still do this because you never know what you might forget.

but as far as looking off of other people's tests... that i just can't get down with
  • pr0crastinatorpr0crastinator Posts: 223Registered User Junior Member
    Obviously. You get the right answers which means a) assurance you'll get a good grade and b) if you want, you can choose not to study/do the homework or whatever. Just don't get caught.
  • chubeebochubeebo Posts: 489Registered User Member
    simplest answer for me: None.
  • stone_cutterstone_cutter Posts: 783Registered User Member
    Cheating is pointless and there are no benefits from it. Sure you might get good grades, but YOU WON'T LEARN ANYTHING, and the whole point of going to school is to LEARN. Good grades don't mean anything if you cheated to get them. But it's really not the students' fault for thinking grades are everything, considering how much pressure is put on them to go to a good college and be successful - so much that it distracts them from what is really the main reason for going to school: to gain knowledge/intellect.
  • ansaransar Posts: 2,071Registered User Senior Member
    Missing homework in retarded/pointless classes :)
  • AeroEngineer3141AeroEngineer3141 Posts: 3,607Registered User Senior Member
    Cheating is debilitating. But only if you have rational teachers.
  • changofchinachangofchina Posts: 104Registered User Junior Member
    if you think about it, it's frightening how common cheating is in every aspect of life in the world of today
  • BeKindRewindBeKindRewind Posts: 915Registered User Member
    It's frightening?

You clearly don't know what a truly frightening world issue is. Cheating isn't one of them..
  • King818King818 Posts: 349Registered User Junior Member
    Cheating is pointless and there are no benefits from it. Sure you might get good grades, but YOU WON'T LEARN ANYTHING, and the whole point of going to school is to LEARN.

Fail.
    The point of going to high school is to get into college. I couldn't care less about learning how to dissect a frog, or that Adams was the second president (aside from personal interest)
  • Ivybound11Ivybound11 Posts: 1,724Registered User Junior Member
    you get a really good grade