Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What to do if your parents are threatening to kick you out of the house?

sugar_sweet111sugar_sweet111 Posts: 715Registered User Member
edited February 2009 in High School Life
So...yeah....my Mom is kind of crazy. I'm not even exaggerating much... And for the past month (ever since I turned 18) she has been threatening to kick me out of the house if I don't keep my room clean. Now, I'm definitely not a slob. In fact my room is one of the cleanest I've ever seen, today after her most recent threat when I went to clean it, it literally took me around 2 minutes to get it back to spotless state.

I know you'll say just clean your room and then your mom won't get mad. Well, since our ideas of clean are obviously different I dont' know when these threats will come next. And honestly, it's impossible not to have like a paper or a pair of socks or something laying around your room. So, my question is. I know that one day, maybe not tomorrow but somewhere in about a month (I know my Mom like clockwork) she will finally get mad enough to tell me I have to leave. She'll cool down obviously, but since it will probably be evening I'm not sure where I'll be able to go. Any advice on what to do? Actually, any advice on my situation in general?
Post edited by sugar_sweet111 on

Replies to: What to do if your parents are threatening to kick you out of the house?

• RastafariisRastafariis Posts: 105Registered User New Member
    crash at a friends house for a couple days and you'll be fine
  • c.amutahc.amutah Posts: 155Registered User New Member
    Come to my place...

On a non-creepy not, find a friend that lives nearby and tell them. Just go over there.
  • sugar_sweet111sugar_sweet111 Posts: 715Registered User Member
    Ehh...but I feel so embarrassed. I really don't like to air my dirty laundry out in front of people I know (Hence why this is on CC and not Facebook)
  • mcb52mcb52 Posts: 1,485Registered User Member
    hotel for 1 night? or go to a 24hr library
  • goldenratiophigoldenratiophi Posts: 1,149Registered User Member
    Threaten to kick her out.
  • c.amutahc.amutah Posts: 155Registered User New Member
    The 2nd amendment.
  • RastafariisRastafariis Posts: 105Registered User New Member
    if you have to you can go to a homeless shelter for a night
  • expatmeexpatme Posts: 314Registered User Junior Member
    If you can, in general terms, discuss with a friend and their parents (mom) that this is a possibility so someone is expecting you at an odd hour without a lot of conversation about it. This is assuming you have no relatives close by enough to stay with.

In general, if you don't feel comfortable going to a counselor in school, see if there is a mental health hotline, or something similar to call into to discuss the particulars of your situation. It is a lot to deal with on your own. Ask for the help you need.
  • MoodretsMoodrets Posts: 1,497Registered User Member
    LOl, I've had that threat levied against me since I was, like, 8. They always cool down after a day or two.

Do you have a car? Just sleep in it for the night -- park it in the parking lot of a walmart, they don't particularly care if you park there and it's a bit safer than in some dark alley somewhere. Alternatively, if you have a sleeping bag and tent and it's not too cold out, go camping at your nearest campground. Or find the aforementioned friend and crash at their place. If you have some spare cash (~$50) and you know that it's but a very temporary arrangement, find a cheap motel and sleep there.

If you're 18 though, why are you still living at home? Shouldn't you be in college (and therefore out of the house) by now? I mean, you're legally considered an adult, why would you still be living at your parent's place?
  • fizban119fizban119 Posts: 77Registered User Junior Member
    Seniors in high school are often 18. I turn 18 next week and I am a senior. Alternatively, the OP could be taking a gap year, or commute to college. Though admittedly it'd be a bit odd if an 18 year old college commuter was posting in the high school forums still...

oh and to the OP: I don't know what you can do to get your parents to calm down, but there's one thing that I would stress to you and that is to realize that there is nothing wrong with you nor your actions and that you need take no blame in their feelings and their actions. Don't feel bad because if what you say is true it's THEM that is the problem and not YOU. So don't let them get to you.
    No, I'm still theoretically in high school.

Although next year my parents are making me commute because they don't want me to live anywhere but with them. (Strange I know, I think they like the control)

Thanks for the ideas everyone, this is why I like CC. You can always find someone who will help you.
    Ehh...I hate Internet and double posts.
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap Posts: 11,676Registered User Senior Member
    "Do you have a car? Just sleep in it for the night -- '

I'm not sure what it's like where you are, but we've had a few folks die that wry. Fell asleep with motors running. I think it was carbon monoxide."
    '
    "sleeping bag and tent and it's not too cold out, go camping at your nearest campground."

Ditto. But stabbed on the beach.

Of course this sounds past the usual recommendation of family therapy, but have you tried that? If she's only "crazy" for a few hours, some kids just sneak back in and just go to bed...

Good luck. Hope your working on a back up plan for the commuter thing.
  • smarteeangel101smarteeangel101 Posts: 830- Member
    wow my life [i.e. mom] is an almost mirror image of yours. unfortunately, heh...

threaten to move out...& then move out. god knows i can't wait for that <333 lol
  • Ivybound11Ivybound11 Posts: 1,724Registered User Junior Member
    you're going to college soon so let her say that, you only have a few more months and then you're free
This discussion has been closed.