Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is being quiet a bad thing?

tehcakeisaLIEtehcakeisaLIE Posts: 266- Junior Member
edited May 2009 in High School Life
Apparently, everyone thinks I'm quiet. I like to think I talk...most of the time..and more than other people who don't utter a single word.

Is it such a bad thing to be labeled as the quiet (and shy kid, im not shy at all...idk why shy is associated with quiet...) kid (in high school)?

the reason for this is because I only have 1 ear (i lost one in an accident..i mean it didn't come off but like no hearing in that ear)...so its hard to hear in crowds and stuff...

argh....
Post edited by tehcakeisaLIE on

Replies to: Is being quiet a bad thing?

• StevenSeagalStevenSeagal Posts: 1,437- Member
    I've been called quiet ever since middle school. It's because I have paranoid personality disorder though. I don't think it's bad because I found that adults like me more and teachers seem to be more intrigued by me. Also, students leave me alone which I find nice, but I don't know if you would like that because idk if you have PPD too.
  • tehcakeisaLIEtehcakeisaLIE Posts: 266- Junior Member
    Nope, I don't have PPD...but I only have 1 ear...so yea...other people don't know this and thus its harder for me toa ctually hear other people and what they say..so i tend not to talk anymore...

i used to frosh year...but that was before when i ahd both of my ears..

o well...and yea teachers like me more..i guess...
  • LoonLakeLoonLake Posts: 913- Member
    If you eat lunch in the bathroom and have no one to work with on group projects, you're too quiet and it's a problem.

Other than that, most teachers like quiet kids, and most students don't really mind them.

I find it intriguing to approach loner/quiet kids and try to be their friend. But they usually ignore me. So I guess being too quiet can lead to serious social problems.
    and why is it that the "quietest" people also get the most attention? like I am some sort of circus freak...i am getting annoyed...

and one more thing, I know like plenty more people who don't utter a single word...but everbody likes them and loves hanging out with them? I talk way more than that and actually have interesting stuff to say....

wow, my life sucks, huh
    And no, loonlake, I don't eat in the bathroom...i have a group of friends, who are like the jock-ish, type people (well one of em plays volleyboll...i play varsity golf...so yea...)

and i try to be everybody's friend...but some people, I just can't hear what the heck they are saying
    I know what you mean about people you can't hear (even though I can hear out of both ears). I hate low talkers so much! I mumble though so I shouldn't be talking
    and yea..the people who I talk way more than...have girlfriends

*** o.O..maybe I am just a freak...

yea, its ranting time
    and yea steven...i hate low talkers...lol those people should be labeled the quiet ones because you need to pay close attention and make sure the room is quiet when they have to say something...
    haha, you ever see the Seinfeld episode called "The Puffy Shirt" that had the low talker in it? It's soooooo funny.
    nop, lol...i dont watch seinfeld hahaha i prefer scrubs and stuff lol
    Well at least watch that one episode, it's a classic!
    lol ok sure hahahaha
    can i haz other pples opinions, plox, lol

i made it a sure thing to talk my ass off today...which i did..until someone told me that i need to talk more (he was the only one i wasn't talking to a whole lot...)
    OMG i am so ****ed....even the extremely quiet guys think im quiet.....
  • McPucks1357McPucks1357 Posts: 388Registered User Member
    Maybe you are quiet, but it isn't necessarily a bad thing.