Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Which grades count?

fireflake78fireflake78 Posts: 166Registered User Junior Member
edited May 2009 in High School Life
I am currently in the eighth grade, in a public school system in central Texas.

In the fall of 8th grade, I took the Algebra I Credit-by-Exam (two weeks into the course) and skipped the class, going on to Pre-AP Geometry.

In early Spring this year, I took the Algebra II Credit-by-Exam (while taking Geometry), thus skipping Algebra II and now I'm guaranteed for Pre-AP Pre-Calculus in the 9th Grade (as long as I finish Geometry in the classroom).

If I take the Pre-Calculus Credit-by-Exam in the summer, and the counselors change my math course to AP Calculus (AB or BC) when I get my class schedule in the fall, will colleges look at my Credit-by-Exam scores (AND the other high-school classes I've taken in the classroom: French I, Health, and Geometry)?

Also, are these high-school classes I've taken in middle-school part of my transcript, GPA, whatever?

Finally, can someone please clarify what a GPA is and how it works?!

Thanks a bunch.
Post edited by fireflake78 on

Replies to: Which grades count?

• spunauglespunaugle Posts: 804Registered User Member
    woah, woah. college thinking in 8th grade? wow. Anyway, whether or not your High School Level classes (or in this case exemptions) will be included on your transcript is up to your school. I'd talk to your high school guidance counselor to get those answers. At my school all High-School level courses I took in 8th grade were included as part of my transcript. Though I'm not sure how exemptions will work.

As far as GPA, that's an easy one :P it stands for grade point average, and is exactly what it suggest. Basically all high school grades are assigned a point system (typically A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0). You take all your grades and add up the points from each class and divide by the number of classes taken, and that gives your Unweighted GPA. (all A's will give you a 4.0). Weighting comes into play when you take AP/IB/honors courses, and is determined by your school. All schools are different when it comes to weighting (some use a 4 point scale, some a 5, some something else that makes no sense to me, haha).

P.S. Apparently you're amazing at math.. I'd just like to say congrats man! That is really awesome. Most people don't take AP calc until senior year!
  • fireflake78fireflake78 Posts: 166Registered User Junior Member
    Well, thank you, "spunagle".

What's tragic, however, is that my grade in French is steering between 89 to 92 every six weeks. I suppose that this would translate into something like a 3.0?

Also, my Geometry grade is steering between an 85 and 92 every six weeks. Terrifying.

Most terribly, my Health grade has been at 82 and 88. Aaaack!

I've always dreamed of Princeton, Stanford, MIT, and Duke... perhaps if I take the SAT Math Level 2 Subject Test this fall, I'll be alright - for now.

I wanted to take AP Calculus (BC, especially) in the 9th Grade because I wanted this to stand out in college admission documents!

Wow, last year (7th) I would be getting test questions wrong because I left out the comma in the number 383902. Hopefully next year (9th) I'll be learning calculus.