Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Foregin Language in HS

davesdaves Posts: 3Registered User New Member
edited May 2009 in High School Life
How important is learning a language throughout all four years of highschool for college admissions?
At my school the min requirment is 2 yrs of language, approaching my junior year I really want to quit Chinese because it is very time consuming for my learning style and will add to more stress with my AP's
Should I quit Chinese to ease my workload or continue with it?
Post edited by daves on

Replies to: Foregin Language in HS

• KelesoKeleso Posts: 344Registered User Junior Member
    Most Universities will require that you take 1 to 2 years level of foreign language, anyway. In NY, most Universities waive the first year of foreign language after three years of HS foreign language classes in the same language.
  • icedragonicedragon Posts: 2,170Registered User Senior Member
    I didn't take it in high school......
  • vosamimvosamim Posts: 306Registered User Junior Member
    dont be a looser!!!!
    just continue your four years!
    if anything, think of it as a valuable opportunity to learn about a new culture (if your not chinese), and if you are, think of it as a way to connect to your culture.
    Moreover, it'll help you get a better job if your well versed in another language, especially chinese. and the more you learn now, later on it will be a lot more fun to take advanced chinese classes in college. Just do it, it'll be fun
  • McPucks1357McPucks1357 Posts: 388Registered User Member
    It depends on the schools you're looking at. Some want 3 or even 4 years oh HS foreign language. You could possibly switch to a different language which works better with your learning style.
  • runningwriterrunningwriter Posts: 367Registered User Junior Member
    I'd stick with it for another year and drop it as a senior.
  • vosamimvosamim Posts: 306Registered User Junior Member
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    its the learning experience!!!!!! just learn it!!!! itll help you in the future!
  • sqdwfe13sqdwfe13 Posts: 1,261Registered User Member
    ^I fully agree with vosamim.

I hate how so many high schoolers hate taking a foreign language. No matter how difficult it is, stick through it, it's a valuable learning experience and you'll definitely find it useful in the future.
  • Damon1570Damon1570 Posts: 565Registered User Member
    learn it and take the class. you might regret it later.
  • japanmedloverjapanmedlover Posts: 263Registered User Junior Member
    If you're applying to competitive colleges, you will at least need 3 yrs of a foreign language. Besides, learning Chinese is cool!
  • RixsRixs Posts: 1,003Registered User Member
    I'm dropping Chinese after this year (my second year), but I already have 3 years of Japanese and 2 years of Latin of my belt as well.

Chinese just isn't my language, so I've replaced it with an AP course for next year.

Instead I'm just continuing my Japanese studies on my own (since the only languages with more than 3 years at my school are Spanish and Latin) and shall advance myself in it further in College too.

I don't regret dropping it either. My teacher was super nice, and the class is pretty easy, but I just dislike the language. Maybe it would be slightly different if it wasn't an online class, but then again, I take Japanese online as well, and I love it, both linguistically and culturally.

It just isn't my thing.

However, for you, since you don't have 3 years of any language yet, I would recommend sticking it out for third year. Colleges like to see 3 years minimum, regardless of high school requirements. My high school doesn't require any foreign language, but most people take one for college anyway.