Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Do final exam and midterm grades affect your final grade?

MFaaiz325MFaaiz325 Posts: 79Registered User Junior Member
edited May 2009 in High School Life
Do final exam and midterm grades affect your final grade? Is it averaged into your final grade that colleges see. Say you get a B average in both semesters and then you get an F on both the final and the midterm, wouldn't your final grade be like a C or something? But for the most part, do colleges look at your final and midterm exam grades and does it average into your final grade for your transcript.
Post edited by MFaaiz325 on

Replies to: Do final exam and midterm grades affect your final grade?

• RebelCatsRebelCats Posts: 311Registered User Junior Member
    yes final exam and mid-term exam grades are factored into your final. How much weight they have depends on the teacher.
  • powerbombpowerbomb Posts: 3,364Registered User Senior Member
    It even depends on the school.

At our school, 1st quarter = 20%, 2nd quarter =20, midterm = 10%, 3rd quarter = 20%, 4th quarter = 20% and final exam = 10%.
  • MillancadMillancad Posts: 5,797Registered User Senior Member
    At my school, two "final grades" appear on my transcript, one for each semester. Midterm grades are completely meaningless at my school. For first semester, your 1st and 2nd quarter grades count and your exam grade. For 2nd semester, your 3rd and 4th quarter grades count and your exam grade. So it depends on your school.
  • histrionicshistrionics Posts: 330Registered User Junior Member
    Yes. Each marking period counts for 20% of the final grade. The midterm and final count for 10% each.
  • MFaaiz325MFaaiz325 Posts: 79Registered User Junior Member
    Ahh I see, I see. Thanks!
  • LobzzLobzz Posts: 1,970Registered User Senior Member
    No. Just like making 170 mistakes on the SAT will not affect your score.....

looool. Kidding. Yes, of course they will.
  • McPucks1357McPucks1357 Posts: 388Registered User Member
    Yup, only the final grade shows on the transcript.
    And also, do you get anymore incentives or additional points towards your final grade for AP and Honors classes when it comes to your final grade?
    And some colleges receive final semester grades right? 2 rather than 1 final grade.
  • _daniel_daniel Posts: 663Registered User Member
    we don't have midterms at my school, but finals are usually worth 15-20% of our final grade.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Posts: 21,906Registered User Senior Member
    Most high schools only send semester grades. Colleges will only look at semester grades.

Most high schools only send semester grades, not full-year grades.

Yes, the final will affect your grade. No, if you get a D on the final and an A in the class, it will not affect your admissions chances.
  • livesforsummerlivesforsummer Posts: 428Registered User Junior Member
    At my school they calculate final grades really weirdly (Unfortunately they are changing it)

Each quarter grade is worth 20%, midterm grade is worth 9%, and final grade is worth 11%

So if you do well all year, then you don't really need to study for your finals.
    Ahh I see, I see.

Well it is all cleared up guys. Thanks a lot!!
  • woamiwoami Posts: 423Registered User Junior Member
    taking ap most likely means no finals for most kids, but it weighs as much as 1 six weeks. Our school sends transcripts after finals end, so it's calculated into the final transcript for us.
  • joshcastojoshcasto Posts: 556- Junior Member
    My high school sends full-year grades (because we have mostly full-year classes), but others send semester grades. The college you're applying to doesn't care if you got a C on a final or a low B second marking period. If, overall, you did well in the class, they'll look favorably on that.