Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Best club to start in high school with almost no clubs?

MetallikaMetallika Posts: 294Registered User Junior Member
edited June 2011 in High School Life
Hello CC :]

I'm going to be a sophomore at an Early College high school next year, and since my school has only been around for a few years (we are graduating our first class next year) we have almost no clubs. We have some of the more common ones- yearbook, math club, science olympiad, etc.

However, I was really looking to start a different club this fall. I live in southeastern North Carolina, and as sad as it is to say, the schools in our area kinda suck when it comes to extracurriculars. Bad sports teams, lack of club involvement (unless you're looking at the academically elite), stuff like that. I moved down here from Wisconsin, where nearly everyone was actively involved in school spirit, our sports, or a club. Since my school is different idea than other schools in the area, I really wanted to start a club based upon the same ideas (hard work, using different learning techniques, hands-on learning, etc).

So basically, the point of this is: what clubs do you guys recommend I look into starting this fall? Because of our small school size and the administration's eagerness to get students into the school spirit, I don't believe it'd be too hard to get my administration to agree with starting a club that's not too common. I really want something that:

-Gets people really involved
-Is fun
-Could lead to some possible trips to other places in the state/maybe even country
-Teaches all of us something new
-Leaves room for different activities
-Possibly original/uncommon in my area

So, what were your favorite clubs in high school?
Post edited by Metallika on

Replies to: Best club to start in high school with almost no clubs?

• Ch1ck3nPotPi3Ch1ck3nPotPi3 Posts: 283Registered User Junior Member
    Cooking Club. It gets people involved, is fun, allows for trips to restaurants and culinary schools, teaches the art of cooking, leaves room for eating, but I'm not sure about originality or commonality.
  • MetallikaMetallika Posts: 294Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks! Yeah, it actually sounds pretty original. I know some schools here have Foods as a class, but I don't know about a club. My future English teacher was a professional chef in France for some time, so I'm sure she'd looove to start a cooking club.
  • OstonziiiOstonziii Posts: 76- New Member
    CC Browsing.
    jk.

Anyways.
    Model UN?

Otherwise, create your own club, not a predefined one.
  • HarambeeHarambee Posts: 2,604Registered User Senior Member
    I live in southeastern NC, and I am yet to find a Model UN club. I'm thinking of starting one in my HS. Anyway, I think you should start a MUN club, but you would have to be serious to get into regional and national competitions. It's pretty fun from what I hear.
    A few of our rising seniors (juniors last year) actually attempted to start a MUN club. That...definitely did not work. haha, I remember they also attempted a newspaper, but that responsibility of editor was also left to myself and another freshman girl. Who knows, maybe we'll be able to salvage both clubs? :p

Anymore ideas, everyone?
  • rchhayrchhay Posts: 1,185Registered User Member
    Just think about what's really popular at your school. For example, we have a club at our school called "Save The World Friday" Club where everything is encouraged to carpool/hike/bike or come to school in some way other than the normal car on Friday. There's also a club for religious people Club ### (<- area code)... Also, if you have a lot more school pride you could try a "Class of 2011" or something club. We have those clubs at our school, but only about 10 people are in each of them because our school pride is kind of low. Haha. Except the seniors usually have like 30 people. =P
    Haha, our school pride is deeeefinitely low. Not having any sports and less than 100 people per grade (less than 50 in my grade) doesn't help, either :p
  • phuloridianphuloridian Posts: 192Registered User Junior Member
    Junior Civitan.
    best club ever.
    it gets those suckers involved who just do community service because they have to.
    it's also pretty rewarding.
    it's also an international club thing.
    it's hands-on.

other than that there's asian club, debate, mock trial, etc. :]
  • fizix2fizix2 Posts: 3,570Registered User Senior Member
    you should start a kindness club. once i tried to start one, and basically the idea was we'd tape candy to people's doors and stuff. you know, organized random acts of kindness. i guess if you wanted to do it you could give flowers to every third person in the school directory or something. i wish i'd gone farther with it but i was too busy...
  • toasteroventoasteroven Posts: 92Registered User Junior Member
    Lemelson-MIT InvenTeams: Inspiring a New Generation of Inventors

this may not be EXACTLY what u are looking for, but its a really great program. getting 10k from mit is no joke.
    Junior Civitan actually sounds pretty good, since we are required to do 200 hours of community service. My friend and I were actually talking about starting something like that to enable students to get more community service hours.

And I did just start thinking about debate thanks to a PM I just received. I did debate in middle school, so that'd be pretty interesting to start.

Fizix - A kindness club sounds adorable, haha. It reminded me of Operation Beautiful :D Have you ever heard of that?

Toasteroven - That sounds amazing. However, I can only think of a few people at my school motivated or intelligent enough to do something like that. Hm, who knows though? I'll deff present it to them.
  • 2wentyEight2wentyEight Posts: 76Registered User New Member
    Club [insert your name here]

In said club, just do whatever you like to do. It's a win-win. You get to be you, others get to be you. YOU'RE A GOD
  • cjohncjohn Posts: 73Registered User Junior Member
    FCCLA! its soo much fun! there are 2 state competitions a year with event in like cooking, fashion, and a bunch of other career oriented things and then there is a national competition. in the club meeting we do a lot of community service and fun fundraisers.
  • cjohncjohn Posts: 73Registered User Junior Member
    by the way i forgot to add fccla is a national club so they have a website with more info. i think the website is fccla . org
  • genevieve961genevieve961 Posts: 205Registered User Junior Member
    Cooking club would be awesome, because there are a lot of high schools in the US that don't offer cooking classes anymore.

College Confidental Club might work, but a lot of high schools wouldn't be interested in that.

If you are going to have a club, don't make a sports club. If that sport is not a sport at your school, try to make it one!!!