Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

AP Classes- Getting B's in all

kristgemkristgem Posts: 124Registered User Junior Member
edited September 2009 in High School Life
Would it look bad for someone to take 7 AP classes and get all B's? Then their GPA shows up to be 3.0.
Or for someone to get all C's in the AP classes and to get a 2.0 GPA?
Post edited by kristgem on

Replies to: AP Classes- Getting B's in all

• watcollege?watcollege? Posts: 155Registered User Junior Member
    um...getting Cs is worse...duh........O.o
  • ZapzZapz Posts: 2,541- Senior Member
    B's are worse. Make sure you get C's. Maybe even throw some D's in there. That will sure impress those admissions officers. =) Aim for 1 B maximum.
  • rachael525rachael525 Posts: 1,499- Member
    ^ Sound advice, I'd say. Take it or leave it, kiddo.
  • kristgemkristgem Posts: 124Registered User Junior Member
    No, I meant as in if it would be worse in both ways rather than just taking a regular class and getting better grades in it. For example, if it shows that someone tried really hard in their classes, but ended up with a 3.0 while taking Ap classes. 3.0 sounds really low for someone going into a good university. Would they still consider it ok since that person was taking AP classes?

When I wrote about the 2.0 and getting all C's, I meant as in if it would matter if you got a C in an AP class.
  • watcollege?watcollege? Posts: 155Registered User Junior Member
    take a mix...some aps and some honors...see if u can handle that? ..i think its better than Bs in all Ap
    ...and if ur getting Cs...TAKE HONORS
  • MillancadMillancad Posts: 5,927Registered User Senior Member
    No, I meant as in if it would be worse in both ways rather than just taking a regular class and getting better grades in it. For example, if it shows that someone tried really hard in their classes, but ended up with a 3.0 while taking Ap classes. 3.0 sounds really low for someone going into a good university. Would they still consider it ok since that person was taking AP classes?

When I wrote about the 2.0 and getting all C's, I meant as in if it would matter if you got a C in an AP class.

It depends on what you mean by a good university. There are plenty of good schools, ones that will give you a good education and allow you to get a nice job, which will gladly accept a person with a 3.0 and a lot of APs. However, most of the schools talked about on CC, HYPMSC, Ivies, top 25, etc. are very unlikely to accept someone like that. At Harvard, Yale, and MIT info sessions, when someone asks, are A's in regular courses of B's in advanced courses better, the adcoms say "A's in advanced courses are better." It's the truest answer, even though it may sound a bit snarky. If an applicant has a few B's in advanced classes or is taking a few regular courses, this won't be a reason to throw an app out, but most of the transcript should be composed of A's in advanced courses.
    C's are bad, pretty much. AP, IB, Honors, whatever or regular, C's are bad.
  • cryingcloudcryingcloud Posts: 88Registered User Junior Member
    There's this commonly circulated story -- at a meeting with admissions officers from different colleges, a student asked: "Is it better to get a B in an AP class or an A in a regular class?" The admissions officer answered with "Take the AP class and get an A."

I don't know what kind of colleges you're looking at. If it's top-tier or comparable, A's in AP classes are best -- B's and especially C's won't help your application at all. There are plenty of schools for which a 3.0 is perfectly acceptable, though. You should go to the websites of the schools you're interested in and look up their average undergraduate admitted students statistics to get a better idea.

My advice would be to take AP classes in subjects you're interested in and good at. Take the rest as honors. In my opinion, getting good grades in a reasonably rigorous class is better than getting way over your head and getting average grades.

Good luck!
  • kristgemkristgem Posts: 124Registered User Junior Member
    Alright, thanks. :)