Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Easiest Sport to get Scholarship

A-sanA-san Posts: 906- Member
edited July 2005 in High School Life
What is the easiest sport to get a full sports scholarship to your favorite school. I dont mean which is the easiest sport to play or learn, every sport is hard in its own respect, however which sport has the least competition to get a college scholarship.

If you are very good in every sport, which sport would you more likely get a scholarship for?

I was just curious thinking about this.

EDIT: I would think Basketball is the hardest of them all, then maybe Football.
Post edited by A-san on

Replies to: Easiest Sport to get Scholarship

• HImomHImom Posts: 17,154Registered User Senior Member
    Gender makes a difference. Each school that gets federal funds has to comply with Title IX.

A friend's son was offered several scholarships--wasn't clear whether it was because he was a water polo All American goalie or merit (he was a National Merit semi-finalist) or both. He ended up turning down GW who offered him 50%, UT Austin who offered 100% + spending money & ASU honors college who also offered 100% & going to UCSB where he's very happy with no $.

From what I've been told NO ivy league schools give sports scholarships. All they can do is give a slight preference for scholar athletes, so that if they're borderline about whether to admit or not, they will be admitted.
    My neighbor was the 1st in our state to get accepted to play women's soccer at Brown (about 20 years ago). Several friends daughters got scholarships to play soccer. One friend's son got scholarship to run cross-country & track (he had won several state titles), while neighbor's daughter who also had won state titles did NOT get offered any sports scholarships. What does it all mean? Who knows! It seems there is quite a bit of arbitrariness in all of it. Part of it is where you're interested in going & whether that school needs your particular talent & if they have money to offer.
    HImom
  • dreamsofYaledreamsofYale Posts: 224Registered User Junior Member
    Females: Golf. Deffinitly!! Its one of those sports that they want equality in. So, most deffinitly golf.
    Males: I think soccer probably. But, I don't know much about that.
  • ryan2288ryan2288 Posts: 2,501Registered User Senior Member
    males: probably lax, soccer, or tennis.
  • Dave_BerryDave_Berry Posts: 33,344CC Admissions Expert Senior Member
    my firend got a scholarship for ice skating
  • dreamsofYaledreamsofYale Posts: 224Registered User Junior Member
    It depends where you live for ice skating. I myself figure skated for 3 years. I however, was skating in SC.

Not exactally the #1 state for producing Olympic figure skaters. :(

While I skated though, I was looking into how I could get a schlorship, but everything I could get it for would be for syncronized skating. My clubs syncro team fell apart, and I hated it to start with.

If your in those cold states, yes its probably pretty easy. If your male. There are tons of female skaters, and I believe competition would be still. If your in these warm states, I'm not too sure about how you would even go about it. Unless your team is nationally recognized, or YOU are nationally recognized.
  • somebodynewsomebodynew Posts: 2,895Registered User Senior Member
    From what I hear, good divers are always in demand.
  • suzesuze Posts: 4,479- Senior Member
    Football because the need a lot of bodies. No way it's swimming or water polo as these are not money making sports for schools. Dartmouth tried to do away with its swim team this year! For girls, volleyball is number 1.
  • citygirlsmomcitygirlsmom Posts: 13,158- Senior Member
    They need bodies for football, but not everyone gets $$

Crew seems to recruit alot

Soccer is getting tougher for girls because there are so many now
  • incognitaincognita Posts: 77Registered User Junior Member
    yeah, he is a male figure skator. I think he ics dances too. top 15 in the nation, and only practices two hours/day. (naturally graceful) considering he's a guy, this is why.
    also, i know a female ice skator who practices four hours a day and is only top 50 in the nation...
  • suzesuze Posts: 4,479- Senior Member
    Of course not everyone gets dollars! You need to be exceptional to get money in any sport!!!!! But football is #1 for guys and volleyball for girls. Sports like crew, that most high schools don't offer, might offer better odds for both sexes.
  • A-sanA-san Posts: 906- Member
    darn I was hoping Tennis would be mentioned here. I recently fell inlove with the sport.
  • BigRed25BigRed25 Posts: 577Registered User Member
    tennis is actually one of the hardest sports to get a scholarship for. theres only 5 starting spots (5 singles players and 4 of them play doubles too) on a collegiate team and unless a stanford, duke, usc, etc is recruiting you, not everyone on the team gets scholarships.
  • PhellaxPhellax Posts: 99Registered User Junior Member
    Fencing is a good sport for scholarships because there aren't as many people who are good at it. Basketball and football players come a dime a dozen; a fi****l of good fencers is harder to come by. Or so I've been told by a college official.
  • PhellaxPhellax Posts: 99Registered User Junior Member
    um, I'm not sure as to why there are asterisks on my comment...maybe I should have said a full fist? fist-full maybe? curious...quite curious.
  • somebodynewsomebodynew Posts: 2,895Registered User Senior Member
    How could I forget fencing? If only I had started sooner (been doing it for a year now.) One of my friends qualified for JO's after only 3 months of training. I almost made it to Arlington last year myself.

Maybe if the college I go to has a team I'll see if I can walk-on.