Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Question about AP/IB

yourskyyoursky Posts: 711Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2010 in High School Life
I am seriously considering switching private schools for my junior year (this sounds a bit irrational, but honestly I think this might be a good change for a long string of reasons I don't feel like dwelling into lol) and that other private school is basically a 90% IB school, and the only AP they offer is apush.

The thing is, I like the AP program and I'm already doing an AP history course this year. I was wondering if these credits could transfer over to IB & would it look weird if in fact, I moved schools and I took an ap history course in soph year, apush in junior year, and other ib courses from junior to senior year?

Post edited by yoursky on

Replies to: Question about AP/IB

• VortarVortar Posts: 65Registered User Junior Member
    it is impossible for AP credits to be transferred to the IB program if by transferring credits, you mean getting a 5 on ap exam and skipping the requirements for another IB subject.

if the ap history class you take in soph year and junior year are different, it shouldn't look weird. if you like the ap program so much, you can always self-study ap subjects and ask the school to let you take the exams in addition to your IB curriculum. also, taking 4 years of history courses is not that bad. a lot of the knowledge you learn in ap hist can be used for history commentaries in IB history for good analysis. (as opposed to 4 years of chemistry, where you relearn the same things over and over again, argh)
  • jhwu928jhwu928 Posts: 1,368Registered User Junior Member
    The credits won't transfer over to IB, but I think I've seen a lot of other people around CC taking AP courses in addition to IB. Just make sure you don't overwork yourself by taking APUSH and IB History--the IB is a LOT of work (I'm having enough trouble with the 6 subjects, let alone an additional AP!)