Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Pre-Ap Algebra 2 or Regular Algebra 2

TheGymnast08TheGymnast08 Posts: 76Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2005 in High School Life
I'm going to be a sophomore next year. And I am deciding weather or not to take Pre-Ap Algebra 2 or Take Regular Algebra 2. I Made an 86 last year for the whole year in Regular Geometry. I was wondering if any one could give me advice. I don’t know if it would be work taking pre-ap algebra 2 if math is my weakest subject. Plus I do gymnastics 3 (M,W,F) times and track Tuesdays and Thursdays. So I wanted to know if taking pre-ap algebra 2 would be something that I should take in high school if I am planning to be pre-med in college. Even though all my other core classes and Spanish are pre-ap and world history is AP.

Thanks in Advance
Post edited by TheGymnast08 on

Replies to: Pre-Ap Algebra 2 or Regular Algebra 2

• TheGymnast08TheGymnast08 Posts: 76Registered User Junior Member
    Bump Please
  • GreenDayFanGreenDayFan Posts: 3,928Registered User Senior Member
    what the hell is this Pre-AP stuff. Why don;t they just call it honors algebra 2. And it depends on what colleges you are considering. If you want to go to a top college, you need to take the toghest courseload possible, if you are applying to a not so uber selective college/university, then do whatever and do your best. Good Luck
  • RickFRickF Posts: 169Registered User Junior Member
    pre-ap alg 2
  • CDN_dancerCDN_dancer Posts: 2,579Registered User Senior Member
    GreenDayFan, I guess calling it "Pre-AP" makes it sound better...*shrug*

The Gymnast08, one of the requirements for undergrad pre-med is Calculus, and it seems like a lot of universities are asking high school students to take a calculus course while in high school (prep for the college level I guess). It might be best to take Pre-AP Algebra. I'm not sure what the requirements are at your school, but for me, students interested in taking Calculus are required to take the advanced math course.
  • nicktx7nicktx7 Posts: 26Registered User New Member
    I live in Texas too, and for some reason the courses are named "pre-ap whatever" so it's not just his school. However, I'm pretty sure they are equivalent to honors classes.
  • OhNoItsHeatherOhNoItsHeather Posts: 399Registered User Member
    I would go ahead with the Pre-AP, too. And it seems that most people are either really good at geometry and love it, but not so great at Algebra...or vice versa. So I wouldn't assume that just because you got an 86 in Geometry that math was one of your weak subjects.
  • MonolithMonolith Posts: 57Registered User Junior Member
    Pre-AP algebra 2? lol what the hell is that? The only class AP that could be preparing you for is calculus, and that would be like two years after at least...
  • so save meso save me Posts: 517Registered User Member
    algebra 2 and geometry really are not alike, so i'd say.. go for the pre-ap. =D