Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is NSHSS Legit? Yay or Nay?

AntheaPiccianoAntheaPicciano Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited August 2013 in High School Life
I got a letter inviting me to both The National Honor Society (which I know is real) and NSHSS. Is the latter a scam? I mean, my parents have no issue shelling out the $60 membership fee, but how does it look on college applications? I've been reading that it may make me look egotistical, but at the same time I'm seeing chances for scholarships, something I direly need.

Your opinion?
Post edited by AntheaPicciano on

Replies to: Is NSHSS Legit? Yay or Nay?

• WartsandallWartsandall Posts: 14,151Registered User Member
    Well, if your parents are willing to pay the money and you're interested in the membership, then I think that you should join it.
  • Cody2010Cody2010 Posts: 1,210- Member
    NSHSS is a scam. Anyone can get into it and they just want your money.
  • hi_im_leilahi_im_leila Posts: 2,024Registered User Member
    Like I've said on another thread, you don't need NSHSS to get into college. Instead of wasting the money, pursue another activity/honor that you don't have to pay a flat fee for. It'll look much more impressive on your apps.
  • nothing4menothing4me Posts: 653Registered User Junior Member
    I agree. Both my brother and I have received these offers. Simply ignore them and save your money.

These programs are designed to feed on your and your parent's pride in your education. It's similar to the "Who's Who" program where you had to pay money to put your name in a book.
  • jerrry4445jerrry4445 Posts: 2,741Registered User Senior Member
    I heard that it is sponsored by Abercrombie and Fitch. So, no point in applying for membership.
    Are the scholarship opportunities not realistic then?
  • hi_im_leilahi_im_leila Posts: 2,024Registered User Member
    I'm sure they are, but there are soooo many other places to look for scholarships that it wouldn't make a difference, anyway. Plus I think the scholarships are in relatively small amounts too (like around ~$1000). Not completely sure though, I could be wrong.
  • Cody2010Cody2010 Posts: 1,210- Member
    The Abercrombie and Fitch scholarship ranges from $25 to $10k, but of course you have to join NSHSS to get it. It's actually legit, but say most people who apply get the $25 dollar one, they actually wind up getting nothing since they spend $60 or whatever just to join NSHSS.

They're tricky folks.
    I don't think that I'll join then. Thanks for the clarification.
  • SaugusSaugus Posts: 3,879Registered User Senior Member
    Member here. It is definitely a scam. I posted some of the E-Mails they sent me in another thread.

This Pete Nobel guy has some guts. He makes it sound like a legit organization, and then all he does is notify me of events at far-away universities that I can feel free to attend, as well as sending me some stupid Abercombie and Finch surveys. I feel like demanding my money back, just to get back at them. What a D-Bag.
  • SteelTrapMindsetSteelTrapMindset Posts: 564Registered User Member
    It's definitely a scam. Even if it wasn't, it would probably not help you out that much.
  • TenorsTenors Posts: 1,234Registered User Member
    Paying to put something small on your app? No thank you.
  • TigerbTigerb Posts: 317Registered User Junior Member
    It's a scam. I fell for it when I was a freshman. I have yet to receive ONE actual benefit from this organization.
  • dblazerdblazer Posts: 1,764Registered User Senior Member
    It's complete BS. Colleges know this.
  • madogmgdmadogmgd Posts: 1,068- Senior Member
    It's not a scam

I bought 8 memberships.

That makes me 8 times more the High school Scholar than any of you.