Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Fair - What to bring/expect

netthreatnetthreat Posts: 186Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2010 in High School Life
Going to a college fair with my daughter later in the month at Phillips Exeter (we go to a public high school nearby). What should we bring with us? There are a number of colleges that she is interested in... should she bring anything with her that would serve as an introduction? Any strategies to impression the college officials?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Post edited by netthreat on

Replies to: College Fair - What to bring/expect

• TRUFFLIEPUFFTRUFFLIEPUFF Posts: 1,999- Member
    transcript & a brilliant personality
  • fairy_dreamsfairy_dreams Posts: 3,377Registered User Senior Member
    Nooo. Don't bring your transcript.

Bring a pen to write down your address to be put on their mailing lists. Some people also like to bring a notepad to write down notes.

Ask questions that you won't be able to find on the web. Stay away from stuff like "What is the size of your freshman class?".

These people are usually there to sell their college, not the other way around. College reps meet so many people that they will likely not remember a select individual.

But it's a great chance to get to talk to people who have had real experiences with the school/professors/classes. I asked how the relationships between professors and students were; and I received some very insightful personal stories. Some told me that they regularly went over to their professors' homes to eat dinner, while others said that they hardly had any contact...

Ask them questions that relate to what is important to you. I was concerned about the professor/student relationships, the sizes of classes, intramural sports, and the sense of community so I asked questions about these topics and received a lot of helpful information.
  • MillancadMillancad Posts: 5,941Registered User Senior Member
    I hardly think there will be an opportunity to show a transcript. If one were going to bring anything, a resume would be much more useful, but still not all that great to have.

My school has colleges visit pretty much every day in the fall. They usually have pens, but it's good to bring your own. Be nice. Have questions.
  • hi_im_leilahi_im_leila Posts: 2,024Registered User Member
    Bring a bag... You're going to want it for all of the brochures/viewbooks you're going to recieve.
    In order to quickly and effectively give your name to colleges to be put on their mailing lists, you may want to print out a sheet of adhesive labels with your name, address, phone number, intended major, grade, etc. This will save you time so you don't have to handwrite the same info on all of those reply cards.