Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How do I answer open ended questions? What format?

YourMasterYourMaster Posts: 229- Junior Member
edited September 2005 in High School Life
3 paragraphs?
1 long paragraph?
intro body and conclusion?
thesis?
what
Post edited by YourMaster on

Replies to: How do I answer open ended questions? What format?

• meateater0387meateater0387 Posts: 401Registered User Member
    For what? This question is rather vague.
  • YourMasterYourMaster Posts: 229- Junior Member
    Read black boy by richeard wright. your responses should be detailed and should integrate quotes. address these as open-ended questions, not esssays. it may be beneficial for you to use posti t notes as you read to trace some of these ideas and then use these notes to answer these questions.

1. richard wirght is literally hungry throughout his childhood. yet hunger is also a metphor throughout the novel. explain this metaphor, citing examples from the text where wright uses figurative language to describe these literal and metphorical "hungers".

2. describe the social class to which wrigh belonged at vasious periods in his life. what does the novel illustrate about sociial mobility? how was wright's life affected?

and so on

what format should i answer these questions in?
    i dont know how i will organize my responses
  • meateater0387meateater0387 Posts: 401Registered User Member
    these sound like pretty basic 5 paragraph esssays. I really don't understand what they mean by "not essays, they are open ended questions"
    o man
    5 paragraphs would be quite a burden
  • sammgc68sammgc68 Posts: 102Registered User Junior Member
    I think the fact that they're specified as open-ended questions means that how long the responses are is up to you. I wouldn't think a five-paragraph essay would be necessary, and really, it says to NOT treat them as essays. I took that as meaning that your answers didn't have to be as focused and specific as an essay would, but maybe I'm wrong.
  • ampersandampersand Posts: 588Registered User Member
    I would do one or two long paragraphs for each question. For example, the first question you listed seems like it could be answered in one paragraph, but the second one is really asking two questions, so it is better suited to two paragraphs.
  • A-sanA-san Posts: 906- Member
    I would say two or three long paragraphs. Its not about the length, its about your ideas, and how well developed they are. I doubt people are going to scrutinize if you have 4 or 10 paragraphs. I think they are more concerned with your ideas. If your ideas are vague and not thought through, then your at a loss.

If your ideas are fully thought out, then you will be able and should be able to write atleast 2-3 paragraphs and it should be all good.

I believe they say open ended so they DONT put a restriction on you, they want you to answer the question open endedly and let your ideas flow.
    thanks ampersand and A-san