Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What are some good books I can read?

aStyleaStyle Posts: 973Registered User Member
edited August 2010 in High School Life
Please recommend a book. It can be a common HS book or a series. I've realized that I've barely read any books in my high school life. BTW, I'm a boy so no vampire series.

And please no books that gives you headaches! No difficult philosophy and such. =)
Post edited by aStyle on

Replies to: What are some good books I can read?

• HarveyLewisHarveyLewis Posts: 2,200Registered User Junior Member
    Read the Wheel of Time. That ought to keep you occupied for a while.
  • biovballbiovball Posts: 779Registered User Member
    Read the Gone series by Michael Grant. They are so well written and I can't ever put them down!
  • ApatheticLoveApatheticLove Posts: 282- New Member
    1984 or Brave New World. Two of the few works of fiction I've actually enjoyed.
  • tractorfarmertractorfarmer Posts: 162- Junior Member
    Green Eggs and Ham
    In case you don't know, it's by Dr. Seuss.
  • sophistrysophistry Posts: 913Registered User Junior Member
    Gone series by Michael Grant. It's like a modern day Lord of the Flies except the kids are trapped in a town, not a forest.
    haha sophistry there's a fellow gone reader!
  • BryDeeCBryDeeC Posts: 1,471Registered User Junior Member
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is my favorite book. It's good if you like World War II (particularly the German side of things). And, I recently finished A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. The Kite Runner, his other book, is really good too

Edit: I've read Gone too! It was a really good book. Parts of it really creeped me out!
  • sophistrysophistry Posts: 913Registered User Junior Member
    ^^Yeah, sweet. :cool: My bother and I both love the series.

^You should read the other two that are out now, Lies and Hunger.
  • puggly123puggly123 Posts: 3,500- Senior Member
    The Twilight books are good.
  • BryDeeCBryDeeC Posts: 1,471Registered User Junior Member
    ^^Yea, I've been meaning to check those out. They're always checked out from the library, and I'm broke right now. Lol.
    Oh and the Hunger Games series is good too
  • boston1993boston1993 Posts: 983Registered User Member
    1984 or Brave New World. Two of the few works of fiction I've actually enjoyed.
    The grammar in Brave New World was so distracting and annoying. 1984 was good though.
  • SandwichGirlSandwichGirl Posts: 1,119- Member
    John Green Books are good.
  • SandrockSandrock Posts: 218Registered User Junior Member
    @boston1993: I agree about Brave New Worl, it got on my nerves.

@OP: The Bell Jar. 1984 & Animal Farm are both good books by Orwell. Also, I reccomend pretty much anything by Salinger.
  • BillyMcBillyMc Posts: 7,753. Senior Member
    Haha, oh, Brave New World. I love that book.

Anyway, one of my favorites (the one that isn't the writings of a political prisoner/hunger striker) is Into the Wild. Also my favorite movie, and the best transition from book to movie I've ever seen (seriously, they messed one tiny thing up, and everything else was perfect - the movie had the character getting beaten up when he really got away).