Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Tips to stay awake when you're dead tired from studying

evanescenteuphoriaevanescenteuphoria Posts: 717Registered User Member
edited October 2005 in High School Life
What are some strategies that you take to prevent you from sleeping while studying late at night?

here are some of mine:

Always read at a table. This will prevent you from falling asleep. Use a hard chair to also help keep you awake. Futhermore, the table allows you to have a platform that will support your book and make reading easier.

when you realize that your mind is slugging and you're not understanding what you're studying, go wash your face with cold water. go outside and do a few jumping jacks or something to get your body active. do some pushups or pullups.

take a 20 minute short nap. these are supposed to be very effective in helping you regain your strength. if you think u'll fall asleep until the morning, then take a nap in a chair instead.
Post edited by evanescenteuphoria on

Replies to: Tips to stay awake when you're dead tired from studying

• imiracle911imiracle911 Posts: 3,309Registered User Senior Member
    Listen to heavy metal music while closing my eyes and imagining how the band would perform for about five minutes. Then when i open my eyes i am refreshed and motivated again.
    Another method is i get a heat-pack on put it on my back.
  • QuickLikeCatQuickLikeCat Posts: 273Registered User Junior Member
    Naps never work for me, but all your other suggestions tend to help me out. I always get super-tired after naps or say "just ten more minutes..." and before I know it, it's morning and I've gotten no work done.

Whenever I study, I constantly chug from a water bottle (after I finish a problem, or a page in a history book). It keeps me awake and hydrated, and serves as a VERY mild reward system.
  • quitejadedquitejaded Posts: 1,816Registered User Senior Member
    I listen to a funny talk show.
  • simfishsimfish Posts: 1,125. Senior Member
    then take a nap in a chair instead.

I've slept for several hours in a chair before. It's pretty irritating considering that I go to a table with chairs precisely to prevent myself from falling asleep. When floors are carpeted, I also tend to fall asleep on the floor
  • RBase07RBase07 Posts: 989Registered User Member
    push ups are golden, especially while listening with ear phones to hard-rock.
  • rainbow kirbyrainbow kirby Posts: 2,235Registered User Member
    Sleep when you need to! You'll only feel worse if you force yourself to stay awake for too long.
  • prolixityprolixity Posts: 413Registered User Member
    sing while you work. =) musicals do it for me.
  • theoneotheoneo Posts: 6,934Registered User Senior Member
    Get Up And Dance.

Put On Some '99s Techno And Get Your Groove On!

^That was supposed to be in all caps.
  • JTC007JTC007 Posts: 1,539Registered User Senior Member
    I listen to music as I'm doing homework late at night. It distracts me a bit, but it is effective at keeping me up. I also heavily drink water, QuickLikeCat.

Naps are horrible for me: they make me realize how tired I really am. I need to get in the habit of going to bed earlier because I can definitely feel it the next day if I didn't get enough sleep and then my concentration slips :(
  • NoFXNoFX Posts: 3,784Registered User Senior Member
    eyedrops!!!!!!!

naps are baaaaad for me.. i fell asleep when I was napping while slouching over the table.. But when I do usually wake up, I feel so tired and I give in..
  • hypergreenbeanhypergreenbean Posts: 147Registered User Junior Member
    "I always get super-tired after naps or say "just ten more minutes..." and before I know it, it's morning and I've gotten no work done."

Exactly.
  • blah06blah06 Posts: 253Registered User Junior Member
    a 20 minute nap usually turns into a 2-3 hour nap for me...haha
  • KnavishKnavish Posts: 835Registered User Member
    Yeah, do NOT take naps. They don't work.
  • Dave_BerryDave_Berry Posts: 33,346CC Admissions Expert Senior Member
    How about: go to bed when you get dead tired since it is not worth the strain on your body and chances are you won't remember most of what you are "studying" anyway? I have never in my life pulled an all-nighter (i don't think i ever stayed up past midnight doing homework in high school) and I never plan to.
  • SpinachSpinach Posts: 436Registered User Junior Member
    take a 20 minute short nap. these are supposed to be very effective in helping you regain your strength. if you think u'll fall asleep until the morning, then take a nap in a chair instead.
    Haha, I never take naps when I'm dead tired because I will not wake up. And I don't know how to nap in a chair.