Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Safety Schools For Pre Med?

justhaveonequestionjusthaveonequestion Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
Hi! I am a high school sophomore and am looking at very competitive schools (UCLA, Stanford, UC Berkley, UCSD, ect...) I have a 4.7 GPA (4.0 unweighted) and am looking to score at least a 33 on the ACT. My issues is that almost every school is extremely competitive in admissions. What are some good, less selective schools that I should apply to in order to consider myself safe?

Replies to: Safety Schools For Pre Med?

• artloversplusartloversplus Registered User Posts: 7,421 Senior Member
    Are you only considering Ca colleges? Are you a CA resident?
    If so, cpslo, USC, Pomona and Santa Clara should be considered.
  • GumbymomGumbymom Registered User Posts: 16,664 Senior Member
    SLO, Pomona and Santa Clara are not safeties. You might want to look at UC Riverside since they recently opened a Medical school and your stats put in the top percentile. You look like a good Regents candidate for UCR which would give you plenty of perks. There is much to be said for being a big fish in a small pond especially if Pre-Med.
  • justhaveonequestionjusthaveonequestion Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Thank you!
  • i_wanna_be_Browni_wanna_be_Brown Registered User Posts: 7,560 Senior Member
    @artloversplus I hope you were just naming other schools that might be of interest to the OP and not trying to name safeties. Pomona is a top 5 LAC.