Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Should I retake the classes I did poorly in while in high school?

Tex_2906Tex_2906 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
In high school I had these three college classes and made these grades, my plan is to go to medical school but i'm worried that my C- in world regional geo and my D in Composition 1 will have an effect on my chances! Should I retake Geo and Comp?

GEO 121 C-
PSY 111 A
ENG 105 D

Replies to: Should I retake the classes I did poorly in while in high school?

• WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 8,698 Senior Member
    Since medical schools require 2 semesters of writing/composition for admission, you definitely need to retake Composition.

Medical school do not consider any grad below a C as acceptable for fulfilling admission requirements.

As for geography--that's up to you. Not a med school requirement.

Keep in mind that medical schools do not allow grade replacement--even if your college does--so that both your original grade and your re-take grade need to reported and both will be included in any GPA calculations.
  • artloversplusartloversplus Registered User Posts: 7,801 Senior Member
    edited May 17
    And so are the DO, PT, PA, DMD or most other medically related professional schools, grade replacement is not allowed. Chiropractic schools maybe less stringent.

Before you retake those classes for premed purposes, you need to think twice if you want to be in premed as you have already dig a small hole for premed, and college has not started yet.