Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What do I do to become a doctor? Go to Undergraduate school then pre-med???

collegeboy92collegeboy92 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited February 2009 in High School Student Topics
I want to be a doctor, more specific an anesthesiologist, and I am so confused about college. So do I go to an undergraduate school and then pre-med. If I go to an undergraduate school then what do I do? If I go to pre-med what courses do I take?
Thanks So Much!
Post edited by collegeboy92 on

Replies to: What do I do to become a doctor? Go to Undergraduate school then pre-med???

• RaedneRaedne Posts: 45Registered User Junior Member
    There are two routes to obtaining an M.D. degree:

-Traditional route (Undergrad. for 4 years, after taking all pre-med courses apply for a 4 year medical school.)
    -Accelerated M.D. program route (usually 6-8 years)

Premed. courses are usually Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Organic Chemistry and English.

Google is your friend.
  • KoreanBoi92KoreanBoi92 Posts: 1,248Registered User Member
    Let me explain some things.

Pre-med is not a major/degree. It is basically someone majoring in anything they want to be plus enrolling in common medical school prequisites. The traditional way is 4 years of undergraduate, then 4 years of medical school, I believe a 5 year residency for anesthesiologist, maybe another 1-2 fellowship thing.

All I know is that anesthesiologist has more years of work than say a general family doctor. However, the pay is totally different. The average starting wage for an anesthesiologist is like $350,000 to $400,000.
  • GoldShadowGoldShadow Posts: 6,160Registered User Senior Member
    Type of doctor has no bearing on anything you do at this point; you have to go to medical school for 4 years regardless of which type of doctor. It's also a little foolish to think you know at this point, because you probably have no idea what various specialties or fields entail (and for that matter, neither do I in large part).

You should try and get some exposure to the medical field; shadow some docs, volunteer at a hospital, that sort of thing. Make sure you know what you're getting into.