Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

In the Mail Today!

IsingloreIsinglore Posts: 24Registered User New Member
edited December 2012 in Hillsdale College
Acceptance and $, YIPPEE Now it is decision time.
Post edited by Isinglore on

Replies to: In the Mail Today!

• minnphdminnphd Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    Congrats, we are still waiting (RD not ED)...

If another school is chosen over Hillsdale (God forbid) please let us know WHERE and WHY, if you don't mind...

minnphd
  • lovenewengloveneweng Posts: 195Registered User Junior Member
    Wow, where do you live Isinglore? Oh, and by the way, CONGRATS!!!
  • IsingloreIsinglore Posts: 24Registered User New Member
    I live in SW Michigan. Please keep me posted on other acceptances and enrollments.
  • Final4X5Final4X5 Posts: 64Registered User Junior Member
    Congratulations!
    Isinglore, if you don't mind, where are you deciding between or are you still waiting for decisions? And what are the factors in the decision?
  • momofsongbirdmomofsongbird Posts: 1,236Registered User Senior Member
    Congrats, Isinglore!

Nothing in the mailbox here in northern Illinois.
    Hopefully some news in Montana tomorrow.....
    She received her acceptance and scholarship in the mail - Yeah! (We're in Wisconsin)
    We have a few more schools to hear from, as well as waiting to see if nice scholarships become full ride scholarships.
    Hope everyone waiting hears soon!
    Yep, got the envelope here in Illinois, too. She's in with a nice scholarship! Still evaluating her 5 other schools (4 other acceptances/scholarships so far), but this one brought a big smile to her face. Best of luck to all who still wait!
    Congrats final and momof!!!!!!

Nothing here yet...
    ^^^
    The USPS is making it's way west a day at a time. Hoping you get good news tomorrow!
    Hang on, loveneweng! I feel sure you'll get the letter today. Keeping fingers crossed for you!
    Got the mail......Rats! :(

What did I do wrong?

DEFERRED

User Name: loveneweng
    College Class Year: 2015
    High School: Private
    High School Type: sends some grads to top schools

Academics:

GPA - Unweighted: 4.00
    GPA - Weighted: 0.00
    Class Rank: top 5%
    Class Size: 2

Scores:

SAT I Math: 740
    SAT I Critical Reading: 800
    SAT I Writing: 770
    SAT II U.S. History: 780
    SAT II World History: 750
    SAT II Math Level 2 (IIC): 760

Extracurriculars:

Leadership positions: Volunteer tutor
    Student Body President
    Freshman, Sophomore and Junior Class Rep
    Latin days leader
    Athletic Status - list sport and your level: Soccer for 12 years
    Volunteer/Service Work: Volunteer at Montana Catholic Conference
    Volunteer at Giving Tree at Cathedral
    Audio-video tech for school masses and assemblies
    Honors and Awards: National Merit Finalist
    Presidential Scholar Candidate
    College Summer programs: Witherspoon Institute
    Hillsdale College
    Oxbridge
    Loveneweng, I'm so sorry for this disappointing news. You didn't go wrong anywhere; you have terrific stats. It's tough to figure out Hillsdale's admission strategy this year because 2009 and this year have seen an unprecedented increase in their apps, and some of that is made up of extremely highly qualified students (such as NMF, 4.3 weighted GPAs, multiple APs, comparable SATs and ACTs, super strength and depth in meaningful ECs). So you were competing against an influx of tippy-top students, and Hillsdale simply couldn't take everyone.

This is all conjecture, but I wonder if the size and/or rigor of your high school, as well as the rigor of the classes you took, weren't quite as competitive as some others. I also see that, although you have a nice list of ECs, it's hard to tell if there's a deep and long-term commitment to any of them, other than soccer (and maybe they don't need many soccer players this year?).

Finally, Hillsdale places a great amount of emphasis on the interview and essay. It's possible that they felt they just weren't the right "fit" for you, as an individual.

Again, I'm sorry for the sting of deferral. What other options do you have on the table?
    Thank you MomofSongbird for your consoling words. My high school is a classical independent school known for the challenging curriculum. It is a fluke that my class size is only 2. The average class size in my school is 16. Over the years my class dwindled because the other students could not handle it academically. I have 18 credits at the local private college in computer, calculus and engineering physics with the professors in all of those classes telling me I was the top student in the class. 4.0 in all of them. I have always taken the most challenging classes.

All of my teachers at my school are familiar with Hillsdale and all thought it would be the perfect fit for me.

I have to admit, it does sting a little since I just found out last week that I am a National Merit Finalist and Presidential Scholar candidate.

As far as other options, I have been admitted EA to University of Notre Dame, Catholic University of America and Carroll College. I am awaiting Regular Decision on Princeton, Harvard and Dartmouth.

I have a trip planned over my spring break in March when I was going to take a last look at all my schools. Hillsdale was on the list. I guess I had better set up an interview with them then.

Anyway, enough of the self pity party......

Congratulations to everyone getting admitted this week!!!! Hillsdale is a wonderful school with a noble mission. :)