Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Presidential Scholarship

finch463finch463 Posts: 3Registered User New Member
edited March 2009 in Hofstra University
hey..
I got accepted into Hofstra and they sent me a letter stating I had recieved a "Hofstra University Presidential Scholarship of $16,000"..but I'm not sure if it's 16 grand per year, semester or what..

the back of the letter said it's renewable for each semester up to eight..

I should probably just call haha
how much was anyone else offered?
Post edited by finch463 on

Replies to: Presidential Scholarship

• asdfjkl1asdfjkl1 Posts: 1,950Registered User Senior Member
    I know people who GO there now. Most of them got less than you did. If anything, a lot less. ...Congrats, I guess.

(I dislike Hofstra quite a bit. Don't mind me!)
  • premed123premed123 Posts: 335Registered User Member
    if its renewable each semester, you got 16 grand per semester, or 32 grand a year!! congrats! Would you mind posting uour stats?
  • finch463finch463 Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    uhm stats...

I got a 1850/2400 on the SAT,
    didn't take the ACT,
    top 10% in a class of 400,
    I'm an A student..I've been taking honors and AP classes forever,
    basically I put a ton of my community service, volunteering and church activities into my app.
    I did the Select Candidate Application...so I guess it's working out pretty well haha.

Thanks and good luck!
  • nydancemomnydancemom Posts: 477Registered User Member
    Wow, if that is per semester, that is amazing! When did you hear about this? My daughter was accepted in December, but we have heard nothing about any merit money yet and have been told by friends that she should qualify for some (seems that way from her stats compared to Hofstra's reported mid-50% range too). Congratulations!
  • finch463finch463 Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    nydancemom..

I applied early, was accepted in December and the scholarship letter was dated January 18th..I got it just last weekend.
    I think that it might have to do with the application I sent in..idk, they sent it to me and I filled it out..but it guaranteed first notification on scholarships and academic planning

oh and thank you!
  • DadOfMARDadOfMAR Posts: 21Registered User New Member
    My son also recieved his letter congragulating him on his Presidential Scholarship. It is 16,000/ yr. I am sure it is not for 16,0000 / semester

Anyway his stats are

applied EA via the Common Application.

Rockland county , NY
    Public
    95.3 % GPA
    710 M, 680 Cr 660 W
    rank 10/ 174
    SAT II's BIO E 720, USPUSH 800, World HIStory 790
    AP'S All 5's in Bio, Psych, US History, World history, Macro Eco 3 in English comp.

Good EC's all state vocal, many clubs, church stuff
    ok essay
    I applied using the Select Candidate Application in late December. Haven't heard back at all yet except for a letter saying "we received your application and don't forget to file the fafsa so we can laugh at you and not offer any financial aid at all."

My stats: 1980/2400 on sats
    no sat IIs
    Through junior year, all honors and APs i could take
    4 time class president
    secretary of student council
    treasurer of national honor society
    editor of school paper
    vice president of leo club
    captain of mock trial
    hospital volunteer
    volunteer soccer coach
    volunteer at safety program
    etc. etc.
    various awards

What do you think?? I'm so nervous because it's been over a month
  • finisher1abfinisher1ab Posts: 32Registered User Junior Member
    My son also received 16000 presidential scholarships. Was also wondering if it is per semester/year.His stats are 2110/2400 ,3.9 gpa, top 3 percent of 300 graduating class.
  • allie'smomallie'smom Posts: 252Registered User Junior Member
    D received a Presidential Scholarship this year as a Freshman and the award is the total for the year. They credit 1/2 to each semester.
  • MollyO252MollyO252 Posts: 17Registered User New Member
    I just got a letter saying that I got a presidential scholarship for 18,000... did any of you find out if that's per semester??
    It's per year. I got $16,000 a year. Well in the letter it will say "renewable up to ....." if it says four times then it's yearly. If it says eight times, then it's per semester.
  • superhumanchichisuperhumanchichi Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    Hofstra is a complete waste of time and money, so don't even bother with their so-called "Presidential Scholarship." I entered in 2007 and I got 10K for 4 years and I was a commuter - in other words, 20K a year. A year and half later I withdrew from the university (that was recently). Now I'm 30K in debt and I decided to transfer to a city school. A LOT cheaper. Public colleges are less than 5K a year. So is going to Hofstra really worth paying that much more? It isn't. The students all hard party and they don't give a **** about school work. If you're serious about college, don't give Hofstra a second thought. You're wasting your time and money.

@ finch463 - with grades like yours, you should be applying to Harvard, not Hofstra. Also, your 16K scholarship is per year, not per semester. Even if it was per semester, it's just not worth it.

@ finisher1ab - your son belongs in Harvard, not Hofstra. Also, the 18K is per year and it's just not worth it.
  • rerecord17rerecord17 Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    When you got your letter about the scholarship, did it come with the acceptance letter/packet or separately?
  • JustAboveNJJustAboveNJ Posts: 38Registered User Junior Member
    My letter regarding the scholarship came separately.
  • elbie09elbie09 Posts: 78Registered User Junior Member
    I got my packet but I did not get notice of scholarship, I think. Will I get it in a letter later if I get money. I don't think I'll get a presidential scholarship but I hope to get SOME money. I've gotten scholarship from St. John's but I really like Hofstra and if I get some money, I'm hoping my mom will take me up there for a visit to see the school. (:

My Stats:

GPA: 3.615
    ACT: 26 (E: 29, R: 28, M: 26, S: 21)
    ECs: A LOT

Also, I got a PERSONAL sticky note with my acceptance letter about my essay topic. It was so personal and sweet. I really liked it. (:

Other Acceptances So Far:

St. John's University
    Purdue University
    University of Colorado - Boulder
    University of Kansas