Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Took English and Literature (separate courses) for 3 years, does that count as 6 years of English?

DoinksInAmishDoinksInAmish Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited October 10 in Home Schooling and College
State Colleges in Texas require 4 years of English (English = reading, literature, etc. I assume?) Does that mean I take another year of English, even though I took two different English courses for 3 years? Thanks.

Edit: In addition, because I'm not 100% certain, is "English" a category? As in, does literature, reading, etc. count as English?

Replies to: Took English and Literature (separate courses) for 3 years, does that count as 6 years of English?

• Mom2aphysicsgeekMom2aphysicsgeek Registered User Posts: 3,703 Senior Member
    I typically combine English (grammar, composition) with literature as a single course. My kids have had more than one lit course per yr on their transcripts but only when they have had 2 very discrepant lit focuses with intense reading loads.
  • tx306tx306 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Look at your local school districts high school English and literature offerings to help you determine how to list your courses. Near us 9th Grade is called English Composition 1, 10th Grade is called English Composition 2, 11th Grade is American Literature, 12th Grade is British Literature. Some districts simply call it English 1, 2, 3, and 4.
  • apraxiamomapraxiamom Registered User Posts: 243 Junior Member
    Georgia requires a reading course each year. This year I used Antiquities Literature for the reading course since S18 had already completed his 4 state-required English units.