Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Does an Indian student have any chance of getting into Ivies ??

reichstagreichstag Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
edited November 2011 in India
Hey everyone!
I'm an Indian high school student studying in the CBSE board.I was recently having a look at some of american students who got admitted at the Ivies . I saw that almost each application had some GREAT community service record(...like organizing a rally, volunteering at an hospital..etc)But sadly, community service is not half as respected and valued in India as it in the US. Moreover, Indian students are not encouraged to "waste" the most crucial time of their lives in community service.For example, if a 10th or 12th grade Indian student were to organize a rally or whatever... they would be reprimanded by others for wasting their time in such "trivial" activities. Also, it's really hard for an Indian student to STEP UP and do something for the society. Does this mean that an Indian student has BLEAK chances of getting into the Ivies (if any!) ??
Post edited by reichstag on

Replies to: Does an Indian student have any chance of getting into Ivies ??

• fall2016parentfall2016parent Registered User Posts: 823 Member
    Yes, there are many indian students in ivy. I think being in a feeder school helps. Schools that offer clubs and activities.
    Check this out Delhi Public School R.K. Puram, New Delhi
    LA MARTINIERE FOR GIRLS, KOLKATA
    A lot of the indian students are also from international schools in India. Some of the indian students have also accomplished at the state/national level. It doesn't matter what you do, as long as you do it well. Musical/Sports talent along with academic ranking and scores will get you into Ivy :)

To add to the post, Indians seem to go after "brand names". If you can swing external scholarships, there are plenty of schools in the US that are as good as any. Check out top schools (based on your intended major) in college search links.
  • reichstagreichstag Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    Yeah, but the schools you mentioned are in Delhi or Calcutta. Could you tell me some CBSE schools in Mumbai (that's where I live) . I don't want IB or A level schools as they are TOO EXPENSIVE. It would be an immense help if you could suggest me some good CBSE board schools in Mumbai which offer good Co-curricular activities .
  • adi2915adi2915 Registered User Posts: 198 Junior Member
    if youre in mumbai, do consider cathedral and john connon... its a superawesome school!...about 80% of their passouts go abroad! btw its an icse school
  • akashdipakashdip Registered User Posts: 728 Member
    hey @reichstag im an indian too. im junior in an icse school though. hope you make it to ivies. im trying too. which city do u live in btw?
    @akashdip I live in Mumbai . :D
  • akashdipakashdip Registered User Posts: 728 Member
    i live in calcutta. you have taken AP courses?
  • fall2016parentfall2016parent Registered User Posts: 823 Member
    " It would be an immense help if you could suggest me some good CBSE board schools in Mumbai which offer good Co-curricular activities "

Isn't it too late for you to change school. You should not change school for last year. Even though some schools have more opportunities than others, it is not a guarantee that you need to be there to get in. you should really stick to the school that meets you and your family's needs and finances.

Also, you should be applying to the indian undergrads as well. It is cheaper, it gets the job done and a renowned university in India is as good as any. We have many indians here who did not go to college in the US. Many came only for graduate studies. And we have the opposite end, who came and did their undergrad here but do not fare any different from the people who did their undergrad in India.

Of course, if that is your dream, you should try but there is no need to change school at last minute.
    No I haven't taken AP courses !! I mentioned that i'm studying in CBSE board.
  • Tizil7Tizil7 Registered User Posts: 1,686 Senior Member
    Since I didn't bother to read your post in fear of writing something sarcastic, I am simply going to answer the question posed in the title of your thread by this link:

http://www.dpsrkp.net/intladmissions.htm

Good Luck!
    Thank you so much !!
This discussion has been closed.