Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Chance an indian applicant

collstucollstu Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in India
Chance an indian applicant

SAT SCORE-1910(Will be giving again in October and December)
SAT SUBJECT- MATH LEVEL 2-800 PHYSICS-800 CHEMISTRY-800
SCHOOL GRADES-
9TH-97%(Rank-1/450)
10TH-10 CGPA(CBSE BOARDS)(Rank 1/450---Shared Position with 10 others due to Cbse Grading system)
11TH-96.7%(Rank-1/150)
12TH-95.8%(IN SCHOOL EXAMS)(Rank 1/150)
Online courses: Completed Various College level Online Courses offered by UIUC
Recommendations---Great
Awards-
RMO Silver and Gold in class 10th and 11th
Technotholon Finals
Lead the School team in National Cbse Science Exhibition
Several School Awards
Microsoft Imagine Cup 2012 (among teams selected for interview round)
School Web Designing Club President
Founder of a local student organisation involved in teaching poor students
Student Council President,Won few other regional competition

Colleges--Uc Berkeley,UCLA,UIUC,Purdue,UC davis,CMU,MIT,Cornell(ED),Stanford,Other Ivies,NYU(applied mathematics)

What will be my chances if I increase my score to 2100-2250.....(That could be achieved)

I REALLY NEED YOUR ADVICE
Post edited by collstu on

Replies to: Chance an indian applicant

• collstucollstu Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
    Toefl score-104
  • Crystal31Crystal31 Posts: 339Registered User Member
    You have a really good chance but in the end it all depends on how much u increase ur SAT score and your essays which you send to the college!

All the best :)
  • aayushchouhanaayushchouhan Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    iam sure it should not be a problem at the first few names u listed... bt the list gets tougher and i suggest working hard on the essays.. reach out to the officer and u will make it :D
    Increased it to 2060.Again giving SAT in DEC
  • PpaayasPpaayas Posts: 250Registered User Junior Member
    Very very good grades.
    You stand a great chance, write good good essays and increase the SAT.
    I wanted few suggestions.I again gave SAT 1 in november and I think my score will be around 2080-2120.....just an increase of 30-40 points from last time. I think I have a fine chance at UIUC and Purdue.But I am unsure about Berkeley and UCLA.Will they consider my toefl score of 104? I now feel that I wont be able to increase SAT more (esp in CR) given the fact that I am from a small town and its really tough for me to cross 700 mark in CR as I am not a native english speaker..................Does NYU consider CBSE Score instead of SAT
  • anvesh95anvesh95 Posts: 302Registered User Junior Member
    Imrpove that SAT score to atleast a 2150, then also imrpove your EC's (as much as you can). u actually have a great chance at ivies if your essays are good enough.
  • GujBarodaGujBaroda Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    Which city and school.? Great application!
    bhagalpur,bihar..........cant tell the school
  • donatudonatu Posts: 9Registered User New Member
    Hi collstu,

We were talking about this in another thread. You're obviously a good and hard-working student, and I'd say your chances are reasonable, but be sure to cast your net wide, both to US universities and in other countries. Even with your very good performance in school, the United States is dealing with economic problems that are making it more difficult for overseas students from India and other countries to attend. Also, it's becoming much more expensive to attend school in the USA, and college loans can be very dangerous. So definitely keep your preferred US schools in mind, but be sure to look for many options in different countries.

I'm an educator myself, and at a recent conference focused on international students from your country and others, the nation that was most positively rated for international students was actually Germany. The German Universities are high-quality and low-cost, and they're also quite meritocratic, so if you're a good student with good potential, there are great options for you there. And Germany and its neighbors are high-tech countries, so there are good opportunities for you to work and learn more at different firms.

You'll of course have to learn German, but from what all the international students said, it's not difficult if you're motivated, and it's very valuable to know as for example the top companies and university networks are increasingly requiring some knowledge of German anyway, and German-speakers in almost any country earned far more after graduating. Other countries that got a good rating were Switzerland, France, Sweden and the Netherlands, all relatively affordable so long as you learn the language, work hard and do well.

In practice it often helps to stay and work at least a few years in Europe after graduating, as this cancels out any remaining tuition costs and helps you to get a foothold (another reason that the students in the conference all recommended learning German, and maybe some French or Spanish if you can). But whatever the case, make sure to look at as many options as you can, in many different countries.
  • donatudonatu Posts: 9Registered User New Member
    Hi collstu,

Also almost forgot to mention in my post above, the international students at the conference also pointed out that Germany in particular does offer some financial support to especially promising students (even with the tuition as low as it is) under some circumstances. And also, if you can maybe pick up some basic German skills in India- don't have to be fluent- Germany also provides free or low-cost German language training in the country, to build up your proficiency. Given the world-class education, cutting-edge technology, business networks and other advantages also offered at the German universities, they really seem like an unbeatable opportunity for students from India or other countries seeking a top education abroad.

One of the students at the conference came from Tamil Nadu state in India, another from Karnataka I think (sorry I'm not too familiar with the regions in the country), and both attended top German universities for rather low cost. The Universities of Bremen, Tubingen and Rostock for example have large numbers of students from India. Both of these students also are working in Germany after graduation, with their tuition costs paid for and doing well. Two other students from Mumbai and Hyderabad went to Rostock in E Germany and to Hamburg, and are now also doing very well working in Poland and Czech Republic. (German is the main working and business language in Eastern Europe too.) So from the descriptions, seems like it may definitely worth it to learn some German. (I wish I'd learned it when I myself was in school!)

As I mentioned in the other post, there are also great universities in Switzerland, France, Sweden and Netherlands according to the international students' ratings (and also Belgium, Norway, Austria, Russia and even a few in the more-developed Italian and Spanish cities from what they were saying). So with the motivation and skills you have, and a willingness to learn languages (especially German with its growing prevalence), you'll have many options. Good luck, you'll do well!
  • codeguycodeguy Posts: 234Registered User Junior Member
    Hey collstu,

Your'e from Bihar too? Same here. Your EC's look good. Bt your'e going to apply ED to Cornell?
    I don't think that'll be such a good idea.
    Why thats a bad idea.My sat score is not good?
    See, As far as I know. Cornell want a large number of ECs.
    You'll need to work on that. :)
    One More thing
    As far as I know, UC Berkeley and CMU don't give aid to international students. :(