Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

colleges cut down fees for indians?

Tanvi3595Tanvi3595 Posts: 24Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in India
ok! i really wish to know more about this new development that colleges in us are allowing indians to study @ 10000$ for under graduation! According to the newspaper article there were 10 in all! it'll be great to know which all colleges fall under this category and has this been implemented yet or not?
Post edited by Tanvi3595 on

Replies to: colleges cut down fees for indians?

• rew2402rew2402 Posts: 691Registered User Member
    yes yes yes.
    its amazing.
    texas is only doing this, for now, as far as i have read.
    Texas A&M is also bent on doing the same.
    i reallllllly hope they do that for us, the class of 2017
  • dasadhikarikdasadhikarik Posts: 97Registered User Junior Member
    Don't count on it applying to any colleges most Indians frequently apply to.
  • rew2402rew2402 Posts: 691Registered User Member
    i would actually apply there.
    not applying there with be a terrible waste of resources and opportunity made available to us.
    Sure, if you want to live out in the boonies in the midst of thousands of rednecks, hilly-billies, and some of the most insular people/cultures that you could ever hope to meet, go for it. Also remember that the regular tuition rate for any of these colleges isn't particularly high either (in the whole scheme of things). Sure, it's about 40-50% of the international tuition rate, but it's still comparable to the domestic rate, which is the actual subsistence value for most of the university.
  • Tanvi3595Tanvi3595 Posts: 24Registered User New Member
    @ dasadhikarik
    I woudn't be saying that for Texas A &M, College Station....its quite well reputed to get into..and yea as a matter of fact these universities are comparatively much cheaper! However, are you people aware of all the colleges coming under this category?? is there a link or something where I can find the entire list of these colleges??
    Texas A&M gas an acceptance rate of >60%. That's hardly reputable to get into in my opinion. Besides, it's not just a question of reputation. I got into Georgia Tech last year, but turned them down because well... I didn't want to live in Atlanta: a patch of civilization in the middle of a huge chunk of boonies (aka the American South--also note that even though Georgia Tech has an acceptance rate of 40%, I still think that's hardly highly reputable to get into).

When I made the previous comment, I did NOT know any of the colleges that were going for this scheme. I based my guess that they wouldn't be all that great from the simple fact that they were offering the discount to begin with (desperation leaves its traces).

Finding the issue on Google isn't too difficult. A simple search of "us college indian $10,000" turns up this result:

US colleges beat down fees in drive towards $10,000 degree - Times Of India

As rew2402 said, all of these colleges are in Texas. To me, that already says a lot, since Texas is the exact sort of place I would equate with rednecks. Really not worth it.
  • cursingmonkcursingmonk Posts: 36Registered User Junior Member
    Does this extend to Pakistan or only indians?
  • Tanvi3595Tanvi3595 Posts: 24Registered User New Member
    quick question dasadhikarik- what university are u currently in????

just curious.....!!
    Tanvi, I am at Imperial College London. I've said this in other posts as well.