Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

networking or degree???

superman7superman7 Posts: 19Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in India
hello everyone!i am an indian student and will be applying to US universities for fall 2013.i want to pursue computer information systems (BBA) as my major.my uncle recommended me this course as he is a baruch graduate in the same field.i am pretty satisfied with his advice but there is one thing that i am unable to accept. according to him;in USA you dont get jobs on your marks,but it is the networking which gets you a job.by networking he means the more and more connections you make with people,more people are ready to recommend you for a job and hence you become superior to a person with a better university degree and with better marks but no recommendations.so,he adviced me not to go about choosing universities according to its reputation or rank,but choose a university in new york (it doesn't matter that it doesn't hold a rank or nobody's heard of it in india).in short,he recommends me to apply to universities only in new york because of the business connections i can make over there rather than choosing a suburb where i culd just get on campus work.he suggested me some universities-pace,,,hofstra,,,baruch college,,fortham,,,rutgers,,,stony brook,,,saint jones and nyu....
please suggest me whatever you feel on this point and also rate these universities......
Post edited by superman7 on

Replies to: networking or degree???

• superman7superman7 Posts: 19Registered User New Member
    bumpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
    anyone please???/??
  • IBStudent1234IBStudent1234 Posts: 35Registered User Junior Member
    I don't think it's a good idea to go to a university with only intentions of making networks.
    You go there to study, get good grades, and achieve your professional goals. And for jobs your grades DO matter. Companies would definitely prefer someone who is dedicated and has good grades.
    this is the same answer i gave to my uncle when i first heard this opinion.and his reply was,"have you ever been and studied and applied for job in US? ihave and so you can just imagine but i can tell you what exactly happens".
    and moreover,there are many more people who gave me the same advice so i am very confused!
  • Crystal31Crystal31 Posts: 339Registered User Member
    If you ask me , I know that recommendations in US definitely work but remember one thing, in US people there only recommend you once they know ur capabilities and for showing your capabilities you have to score good grades...
    Only recommendations do not get you a job but good grades and recommendations get you a job.
    I am telling you the fact and by this I have no intentions of saying that ur uncle is wrong instead telling you what I have seen and my views.
    All the best! :)
    yes!this is what my uncle wanted to say!ofcourse grades are important but you need recomendations for jobs.so what would you suggest- a degree in information systems from a top ranked college but no recomendation or a degree from say pace university (no offense) with flowing recomendations?
  • alcatraz06alcatraz06 Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    Aren't you getting a bit ahead of yourself? Getting into a college like NYU is not a piece of cake for most.
    BTW, your uncle's right. Not only in the US but anywhere in the world, you need to have connections to land on a good job. The corporate scenario in the US is really hot right now and many MBAs from hotshot business schools are at the tip of their toes just to land on a good job. My advice is, ask around. Dig in deep and look into the job prospects of your major.
    New york is a capitalist utopia and Mecca for those willing to climb the corporate ladder.
    Keep in mind, there's a lot more to it than recommendations and connections. Sometimes minor college graduates never make it to the interviews an Ivy leaguer lands on. To keep things simple, the recipe to a perfect job is both of those in an even quantity.