Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Informatics major with a cognate in busines?

3ajeeb3ajeeb Posts: 147Registered User Junior Member
hey,

i'm interested in majoring in informatics with a cognate in business. Is this major considered a hard or easy one? I have been always interested in business and technology so I thought this would make a great combination. However, does this major require a lot of math and science courses like for instance Computer Science? Is this degree as good as an MIS?
Post edited by 3ajeeb on

Replies to: Informatics major with a cognate in busines?

• rrahrrah Posts: 1,602Registered User Senior Member
    My D is an informatics major with a different cognate area. The general ed requirements are very similar to general ed requirements in COAS and Kelley. A couple of math classes, finite and stats, are required. While computer science is not required, you will be required to do some programming and create websites in your courses. You do have to take a couple of science courses including a lab course. One of those can be a psychology course though.

As to whether it's an easy or hard major, that will depend upon you.

An MIS is a Master's Degree so you are talking apples and oranges. I personally don't feel like one degree, no matter what it is, is "better" than another. Do what you love.
  • 3ajeeb3ajeeb Posts: 147Registered User Junior Member
    Oh no, by MIS I meant: a BS in Management information system, its still an undergraduate degree.