Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Any Wells Scholars or Parents?

SeekingTopValueSeekingTopValue Posts: 33Registered User Junior Member
I am looking for feedback from current or recent Wells Scholars. How is it? Did you turn down a top ten school in favor of IUB, or do you know of anyone who did? How has that decision played out?
Post edited by SeekingTopValue on

Replies to: Any Wells Scholars or Parents?

• ace550ace550 Posts: 1,060Registered User Senior Member
    I am not sure how many Wells Scholars will come to this forum. Friend's daughter got it.

Since Wells Scholars probably are waiting for admissions from other top schools, they may be waiting for a need-based scholarship also. Therefore, they are not likely to make the final decision until they receive the financial aid package. This is also true for Kelley Scholars.
  • Hoosier BondsHoosier Bonds Posts: 29Registered User New Member
    The Wells Scholar I know is unlikely to have much regret for accepting this incredibly competitive award. The other school she was interested in was Northwestern which seems to be prideful that it offers no merit aid. The school can arrange for you to borrow $50,000+a year.I know of a couple of kids who turned down the scholarship to go to MIT and Duke to study engineering. The Wells Scholarship is designed to be so attractive that it is not rejected.
  • hktkhktk Posts: 214Registered User Junior Member
    My daughter is a freshman Wells Scholar. She decided to accept the Wells before hearing about admissions decisions from her top schools, so she didn't actually turn any top schools down. She absolutely loves IU and being a Wells Scholar opens a lot of doors on campus. So far it looks like a great decision for her. About 20 were originally offered. About half of them took the scholarship and the other half went to top schools (Harvard, Penn and Duke come to mind).
  • momonthemovemomonthemove Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    I am the parent of a Wells Scholar who is about ready to finish up at IU. I just want to weigh in and say that it has been an amazing experience. The Wells program opened up many doors for her at IU, and I feel as though her college experience could not have been any more interesting and enriching than it has been as a Wells Scholar. She was able to study abroad for a semester and travel Europe, has participated in some very meaningful extracurricular opportunities on and off the IU campus, and is graduating with an incredible job already in hand. Her fellow Wells Scholars are entering the fields of consulting, investment banking, and journalism and pursuing medical school and a variety of graduate school opportunities. The Wells program staff was generous, thoughtful, and kind as she was going through the college selection process and has been very supportive during her time at IU. She has made life-long friends in her fellow Wells Scholars. I cannot say how her experience would have been at an Ivy League school or any of the other colleges she passed on, but I can say that the Wells Scholar program has been wonderful for her.