Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Ask an RA anything from housing to rules

mrlinkccmrlinkcc Posts: 87Registered User Junior Member
Hello I've been an RA in all three neighborhoods in all types of floors from single gender to LLC and academic floors. I still am an RA today as well. If you have any questions about housing and where to live as well as what kind of floor to live ask away. In addition if you want clarifications on rules and what you can and cannot have in the residence halls I'll gladly answer those questions as well. Any questions you can also message me. Fire away
Post edited by mrlinkcc on

Replies to: Ask an RA anything from housing to rules

• yankees3311yankees3311 Posts: 684Registered User Member
    Since I am OOS what housing options are available for me over Thanksgiving break?
  • mrlinkccmrlinkcc Posts: 87Registered User Junior Member
    If you stay over break each neighborhood (most of the time) has a designated dorm that takes break housing. What happens is the day after the last day of class before break (this year it was a Saturday) the dorms close at 10am. By that time you should be out and moved into what ever dorm has break housing. Normally you'll stay in a floor lounge with multiple roommates until the dorms reopen (which is the Sunday before classes start). You can stay any number of days you wish for break housing, but it is $50 a day.
  • 2kidzmom2kidzmom Posts: 73Registered User Junior Member
    mrlinkcc- What neighborhood would you recommend for an OOS freshman who won't know anyone and is looking to be pretty social? And what category will give you the best location/ dorm in that community?

Thanks!
    Northwest is for the very social but Teter can be as well. After that I would research the types of communities and floors. There's Honors floors, academic floors, KLLC, and other thematic communities, it's up to the students interests and plans.
  • ldavisldavis Posts: 651Registered User Member
    How did you become an RA? requirements? Also, does every dorm have an Honors floor?
  • yankees3311yankees3311 Posts: 684Registered User Member
    mrlinkcc: can you please explain how the meal plan (I-Bucks) work. What meal plan is most popular with freshman male students?
  • vi42148vi42148 Posts: 13Registered User New Member
    Speaking of meal plans, are they mandatory?
    And, can anyone be an academic floors?
  • rrahrrah Posts: 1,604Registered User Senior Member
    Nearly all freshman are required to live in the dorms and required to have a Cream meal plan. The Standard plan was more than enough for my D, and she ended up with I-Bucks that carried over to the next school year. I just checked my S's balance. He should have enough left through the semester as he seems to be spending about 130-140 I-Bucks a month. If he runs out, we can pay to purchase more I-Bucks without changing his plan. Because one can always pay for more I-Bucks the best option is the Standard plan.

You can use I-Bucks for most food purchases on campus and at the C-stores. The exception is the Union and the Library cafe. Each item you purchase has a cash price. When you use I-Bucks you pay 40% of the cash price. This link explains the meal plans and how it works:

IU:RPS - Meal Plans and Program Eligibility

To answer another question: Not all dorms have an Honors floor. All neighborhoods have one or more Honors floors.

Anyone can request an academic floor which is different than an Honors floor. No application is required for Academic floors.
    rrah summed it up pretty well.

yankees:
    It really is up to how your student adapts to college and how they eat. I've had standard my entire time here and always had extra points left over. On the other hand I've seen guys and girls run out in November/October. Best thing to do is get a standard one and then add to it if necessary.

vi42158:
    For all freshmen a meal plan is mandatory. Non-negotiable. And as rrah said anyone can be on an academic floor just check the box on the housing app.

ldavis:
    All that happens is the student goes to an information session (fall semester starting around late october early november) and is told about the job and then they must sign up for an 8 weeks class. The class starts in the spring semester and after the class (which ends in march) all candidates go through an interview and they choose roughly 100 students to be RAs.

Any questions about the answers i've given are welcome
  • vi42148vi42148 Posts: 13Registered User New Member
    Your answers were great! But I have one more question. What about the summer courses? Are we still allowed to live on campus if we decide to take summer courses?
    They choose 100.. out of how many candidates?

Thanks MrLinkCC
    vi42148:
    You can choose to live on campus during the summer. You would live in Ashton and would not be required to have a meal plan. Honestly though living off campus during the summer is very cheap and could easily save you $1000 dollars, not to mention living off during the summer is very relaxing and you get to experience all Bloomington has to offer.

ldavis:
    As of right now there are around 300-350 people enrolled in the class for next semester. However the way they are going about it this year will change drastically next year. Next year they will do interviews the first semester in order to narrow down the pool going into the classes. Honestly if you have any kind of experience with supervising people and are serious about being an RA then your chances are 50/50 at least.
  • bthomp1bthomp1 Posts: 1,510Registered User Senior Member
    --vi42148:
    You can choose to live on campus during the summer. You would live in Ashton and would not be required to have a meal plan.--

The part about the meal plan is not accurate, unless a new rule is in place. A meal plan is required for summer oncampus housing. Cheapest plan last summer was $400.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.rps.indiana.edu/doc/Summer%25202012.pdf&sa=U&ei=n3O1UJDaCKPkmAWir4D4Cg&ved=0CBoQFjAC&usg=AFQjCNFreEZzEjWB-HlyhLIZ_CDEadDurg
    My apologies, bthomp1 is correct. I checked and it will be the same for at least two more years.
    One last question... can you be an RA as a Soph. or do you have to wait to Junior Year?