Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

"B-" and Standard Kelley Admission

M19426M19426 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I am a non direct admit high school senior who wishes to get into Kelley through standard admission. I am concerned because I know that transcripts marred by "B-" diminish one's chances of acceptance. As a sophomore I took AP H-105 (dual credit for IU and high school) and received a "B-" What I am wondering is, is a "B-" on a high school AP class looked down upon as much as if I would have taken the same class and had the same result while actually attending the university? I don't want to be rejected from the school all because of a class I took as a sophomore in high school.
Post edited by M19426 on

Replies to: "B-" and Standard Kelley Admission

• hkem123hkem123 Registered User Posts: 714 Member
    For standard admission, Kelley only considers your coursework since you have been a student at IU. This is a relatively new rule, so the information on previous threads may contradict.

Current IU Students: Undergraduate Program : Kelley School of Business: Indiana University

Though since this is 'IU credit' Kelley may consider it. I doubt it though since that sort of goes against the spirit (and perhaps wording) of the website which says: "This is a new chapter of your life, and we’re only looking at what you’ve done since you’ve been at IU."
  • Thefreak121Thefreak121 Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    Hello
    I have a question
    Rn im a freshman at IU and i have some concerns applying to Kelley
    This fall semester i did really well, took all non business related courses, but i ended up with 1 A 2 B's and 1 C+ in biology and i have a W on M211

Im trying to apply to kelley after spring semester
    Im about to take 16 credits
    These r the classes

Econ201
    K201
    M118
    C104
    T175
    W131

Is that too much for spring semester?

And will i be able to get into kelley if i do really well second semester and have the C+ and the W?

Im really worried right now and stressed out
  • hmfinnhmfinn Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    I got into Kelley the summer after my freshman year.

I had a C+ and a W on my transcript, but neither of them were in any business courses.

As long as you have at least a B in all of your business courses you'll probably still get in.
  • ace550ace550 Registered User Posts: 1,126 Senior Member
    hmfinn,

Don't you think that you are an outlier? If you got a C+ in Math S212, Kelley is going to cut you some slack. I believe that a C+ in S212 = B- in M212 = B in M211 = B+ in M119, assuming only freshmen are in these classes. Also, if you applied to Kelley as a freshman, you would have been accepted as a DA. Kelley may take that into consideration. I am not sure if your case is applicable to other applicants. As another reference, a B- in Chem S117 is probably equivalent to A-/ B+ in C117 = A/A- in C105. I hope that no Kelley hopeful is going to attempt Chem S117.

Kelley is very clear that W, P/F, and grades < B weaken an applicant's application. If one has A's to balance out the lower grades, it could help. But, it will depend upon how competitive the other applicants are.
  • Thefreak121Thefreak121 Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    hmfinn

oh really?

but isnt m211 a business course?

i ended the semester with a 3.0 and it balanced out the c+

im going to apply for kelley after 2 semesters to strengthen my application

do u think my spring classes r too much for 1 semester?

i have a update of my new spring schedule

14.5 credits
    m118
    e170(bromance)
    k201
    a100
    t175
    c104

and im planning to take m119 in sophomore year

thank you

ace 550

thank you for ur advice