Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Whats the IB program like?

Awilo13Awilo13 Posts: 314Registered User Member
Im going to be doing the IB program this fall, whats it like? Is it as hard as people say it is?
Post edited by Awilo13 on

Replies to: Whats the IB program like?

• IceQubeIceQube Posts: 3,187Registered User Senior Member
    Some of the difficulty depends on your teacher, as with any course. Teacher assigns a ton of homework --> course is considered "hard." Teacher assigns no homework and gives easy quizzes/tests --> course is considered "easy."

IB is challenging. You can mitigate some of the stress by being disciplined. That means doing assigned work, if not more. That means volunteering early (instead of waiting until the last moment for CAS hours). That means knowing to seek help when needed.
  • Mom2MMom2M Posts: 1,975Registered User Senior Member
    Although IB has international set standards, what the program is like can vary a lot from school to school. The Administration of the program has a signigicant impact on the stress level.

IB is challenging. You need to stay on top of things, and use your time wisely to get ahead when possible. Talk to recent grads of your school, and the seniors in the program. Start the CAS hours the minute you can, and get the signitures as you do the activity/service/creativity.
  • allshewroteallshewrote Posts: 70Registered User Junior Member
    You've already gotten some sound advice: stay on top of things and manage your time.

And just to give you an idea of what the IB program is like, I'd like to point out the experience of IB can be like a school unto itself. I attend a high school where there are also non-IB students, and my contact with them is sparse. Being in IB makes it feel like I'm in a completely different environment (and I prefer it that way, to be honest). Sometimes it intimidates kids, sometimes it drives them to work harder. Depends on the individual.
  • AmandurrsAmandurrs Posts: 66Registered User Junior Member
    Definitely agree with allshewrote. At my school, the IB kids are kind of like a clan since so many of us have multiple classes with each other and see each other so often. I like it though; the IB kids are there because they want to be and it makes discussions much more stimulating.

Of course the programs are going to vary but I think organisation is key to succeeding in the IB environment. I can't tell you how many late nights I spent studying/finishing homework that I could've done earlier. It's difficult work but it's rewarding. Oh and support groups are key! I have a group of friends that I've known for a while that are also in the IB program and it's great because we can rant about IAs/tests and help each other out and such. It's good to have a solid group of friends around that know what you're going through.
  • Awilo13Awilo13 Posts: 314Registered User Member
    Aw thanks! You guys rock! I really want to go to schools like Notre Dame and NYU....but my gpa, class rank and grades from freshman/sophomore year werent so hot ): but im determined and im going to do whatever it takes
  • allshewroteallshewrote Posts: 70Registered User Junior Member
    Oh, I feel as though I should make this clear as well: junior year is going to be really tough. Just grit your teeth and weather through - the second year of DP is supposed to be at least slightly easier (I can't say that with absolute certainty seeing as I'm only a rising senior, so I'll let you know).

Here's hoping you do well! IB really does open a lot of doors if you put in enough effort; what you give is what you get, I've learned.
  • Awilo13Awilo13 Posts: 314Registered User Member
    Thank you! I'll try my best
  • iluvbooks94iluvbooks94 Posts: 1,009Registered User Senior Member
    I'd argue that senior year will be harder, in that you have to balance IB with college apps, and if you're in Diploma, you also have your EE, TOK presentations, and the majority of your exams. But I think the program is worth it, if only because you'll become well-equip to deal with loads of work.
  • 2PathsMom2PathsMom Posts: 47Registered User Junior Member
    Let us put it this way. Sometimes you want to cry, but you realize that you don't have time to cry.
  • KaerozeKaeroze Posts: 300Registered User Member
    Basically all they have said above and making coffee your new BFF!
  • QuixilaQuixila Posts: 36Registered User Junior Member
    Just be glad you're not me. Also, if coffee's not your thing, learn to sleep stealthily during your less stressful classes.

I wouldnt say "stay on top of things" because you'll definitely slip off a few times, but keep a planner and manage your due dates carefully.

Forgot how to have fun while doing the Gifted IB.
  • RMIBstudentRMIBstudent Posts: 460Registered User Member
    Most students love to exaggerate the difficulty of IB to have something to talk about. If you got into a legitimate IB program, you're definitely gifted. The most important thing you have to remember, then, is time management.

Do not procrastinate. Do not blow off freshman year.

Personally, freshman year was the most difficult for me because I had no work ethic, which will kill you even if you're a genius.

Oh, and English is ridiculous. I was terrible at that class until I finally "got it" second semester of sophomore year.
  • QuixilaQuixila Posts: 36Registered User Junior Member
    @RMIBStudent

Not to be overly rude or anything, but we all tell ourselves DO NOT PROCRASTINATE, and 98% of us end up with a gallon of hot tea or coffee or 5-hour energy on a Sunday night trying to finish our HIs and Math Portfolios.

Or is that just the people I know?
    Not to be overly rude or anything, but we all tell ourselves DO NOT PROCRASTINATE, and 98% of us end up with a gallon of hot tea or coffee or 5-hour energy on a Sunday night trying to finish our HIs and Math Portfolios.

Yep. I procrastinated heavily the very day that I made that post. It's the most difficult challenge of IB, IMO. If everybody studied seriously, we'd almost all have 4.0's.
    Just to make it clear, by "studied seriously" I do not mean that you have to forfeit your out-of-school life. I would highly advise against becoming too obsessive.

Just had to get that out of the way.