Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

IB Testing Problems

Collegecarter95Collegecarter95 Posts: 7Registered User New Member
I just found out today that my guidance counselor did not understand iB requirements. I knew it was a problem last year but she assured me that the schedule would make it work this year, senior year. I took iB music sl, that will be ignored and I will have to test in all 6 subjects to get my diploma now. Is this doable? Is there any way to get the IB office to consider this is not a student problem but a school counseling problem? Thanks!
Post edited by Collegecarter95 on

Replies to: IB Testing Problems

• superstarlalasuperstarlala Posts: 1,570Registered User Senior Member
    Can you explain your question better? What IB Classes have you taken?
  • Mom2MMom2M Posts: 2,005Registered User Senior Member
    You have to test in 6 subjects to earn the diploma. This is a lot of work, but doable. Did you take a test for Music SL last year?
  • Collegecarter95Collegecarter95 Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    I took sl music last year, this year I was supposed to do hl in psych, math and English, sl in Spanish and environmental systems. There was a scheduling conflict so counselor told me environmental systems counted on 2 areas, so I should switch to hl music and didn't need psych since environmental science counts in 2 areas. However since I dropped psych I only have 5 exams and now will have to take psych sl and take it a year after taking the class.
  • 2PathsMom2PathsMom Posts: 47Registered User Junior Member
    Did you take psychology last year? Was it HL or SL? Environmental science is science. It is not a social science. You need 3 HLs and 4 SL. Stay in HL music if you can. Continue in LS psychology. You need to order one of the books that explains the IB program and use it as a guidebook. Unless your school is applying different standards, I think you are ok with the IB folks. There are different requirements for HL and SL each year. For example the IA s are different. I don't understand how you can easily switch in your second year.
    However, you always have to take 6 exams regardless of HL or SL. There is no way to avoid that.
  • adusmadesseadusmadesse Posts: 22Registered User New Member
    I believe this is the guidance's fault. IB Environmentals can count as a science requirement or a social requirement for IB, not BOTH! For them to recommend you take a class that does not cover one of your 6 mandated subject areas is their fault, not yours..
  • yoamogatosyoamogatos Posts: 303Registered User Member
    Unfortunately, if pursuing an IB diploma, you need to find out the testing and course rules yourself, since there are complicated requirements and school admin's are prone to providing misinformation. A good place to start is Diploma Programme at a glance