Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

I don't particularly like Physics, but I've heard it is a great plus point when applying for good co

foojpgfoojpg Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
Hello world,

I'm going to be doing the IB diploma in a matter of months. And right now, I'm extremely confused. I really like Biology and Chemistry, I'm okay with Math; but I'm not overly fond of Physics.

Therefore, I was thinking I'd take Biology, Chemistry, and Math at HL; and, Language and Literature, French ab initio, and Economics at SL. Maybe also the CS A AP course to complement everything.

It may seem like a weird set of interests for someone interested in a CS major, but I'm really interested in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, which I'm planning to take as my track for my under-graduation. I'm going to start the Udacity ML nano-degree soon, and am very excited about it.

I haven't gone to a professional counselor yet, but from my mother, teachers, and the internet; I've got the perspective that while not as necessary as Math HL, Physics is a great subject to study for getting into top-notch institutions. The order of subject importance I'm seeing right now is Math HL > Physics HL > CS HL > Chemistry HL > Biology HL, for a CS major. Many people have suggested dropping Biology, but I don't think I should quit something I love, just to complete a checklist of things I should do to maximize my chances of getting admitted into a good college.

I'd appreciate any advice, and thanks a lot