Hey guys! Can anyone with knowledge of HK unis just give me a rough idea on my chances? I appreciate ANY comments or suggestions! Please - these are very competitive courses and I'd like to know where I stand, so even if you only have a rough idea - chip in
I am a Singaporean-American currently going to an international school in Shanghai. Have lived in the US and Singapore. I'll be applying for:
HKU (BBA Law, Law, BBA) and HKUST (Global Business, Business)
SAT: 2220 740 CR/710 M/770 W
IGCSE Grades: 8A* 1A
IB Predicted Grades: 43/45 or 41/42 without bonus.
English HL 7
History HL 7
Economics HL 7
Mandarin HL 6
Biology SL 7
Math SL 7
TOK and EE: 2
CEO and Founder of a non-profit Microbank (2 years) - Last year I started a microbank, where we raise funds to give out microcredit loans to those in poverty. Originally intended to serve local farmers in China, we have since expanded to hold assets and capital in over 40 countries. We have two different projects:
1) Developmental Fund - investing in global agriculture and housing throughout Africa, SE Asia, South America
2) Education Fund - providing student loans to youth in developing countries. I am proud to say that out of our clients, our loans will have a total financial impact of over $2.3 million USD. We have financed the education of teachers, doctors, nurses and engineers.
Head Boy (2 years) - I conduct the job interviews for all incoming members of staff, and personally played a role in the hiring of the current Head of School. I routinely give speeches to the school, and am the head of all student government.
Journalism (2 years) - I am an occasional writer for a large urban newspaper in my city (the Shanghai Daily) that has a daily circulation of over 100,000. I write about charitable work, and also have represented my radio station and school. All works have been published.
Marketing director and founding member for school radio station (1 year)
Model United Nations (2 years) - Was selected as Deputy President of the Economic and Social Council for a large high school conference in Suzhou, China. Have chaired many international conferences.
Debating team (2 years) - Won best speaker awards at numerous debating tournaments
Volunteering (3 years) - I hold free English classes for local Chinese, which leads to official English Proficiency certifications. I also help organize sporting and recreational activities with the mentally and physically disabled every week.
NGO Volunteering (1 year) - I was selected to enter a social entrepreneurship course held by an international NGO, where I designed hats and scarves, marketed them, and delivered proceeds to an impoverished school in Tibet. With the same NGO, I also taught English to impoverished children weekly.
Service Committee (2 years) - I have participated in organising anti-AIDS, anti-Racism, Environmental, etc, campaigns in school and fundraising.
Yearly Service Trip (4 years) - Every year, I spend a week in an impoverished area in rural China, where I teach in underfunded and understaffed schools.
1. Volunteering/Exchange in Cape Town, South Africa - Volunteered in the slums, and in a rehabilitation and homeless shelter. Lectures from many social activists, college professors, speakers on developmental economics, race relations, and post-Apartheid politics. I now serve as an ambassador for the organization that I went with, promoting activism and humanitarianism at my school.
2. Ivy Scholars program at Yale University - I was selected to attend undergraduate and graduate level courses at Yale university in the areas of Political Philosophy, Law and Economics. Have attended courses and lectures from renowned professors in those fields such as Walter Russell Mead, Paul Solman (from CBS), Dean of Yale Law School Robert Post, etc etc
3. Economics summer course at UC Berkeley