Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

FAQs Of Int'l Students Regarding College Selection In The United States

Ahmed315Ahmed315 Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
edited October 2012 in International Students
Hello CC,

I'm Ahmed, an American living outside the United States. I once made a thread where I asked for a bunch of FAQs (which int'l students mostly come up with) regarding "Types Of Colleges In The United States" and "Application Deadlines" for our FAQ software project at EducationUSA and I got great help from b@r!um (I apologize if I spelled the member's name wrong). There's still a couple more topics we need to cover before we start working on software's technical stuff. I was reassigned to cover this topic - FAQs of int'ls regarding "Things To Consider While Selecting Colleges In The U.S." or "Facts/Issues To Consider While Making Your College List" (as an int'l/non U.S. citizen).

The deadline is approaching so I need to submit this as soon as possible. I would really appreciate it if you guys had given me as many FAQs as possible on this topic. I'm sure regular and senior CC members get a LOT of questions everyday. So, I figured this was the best place to ask.

The more FAQs the better.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. This software I'm talking about is mainly for int'l applicants'/non U.S. citizens' FAQs.
Post edited by Ahmed315 on

Replies to: FAQs Of Int'l Students Regarding College Selection In The United States

• Ahmed315Ahmed315 Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    Bump...anyone?
  • b@r!umb@r!um Registered User Posts: 10,145 Senior Member
    I'll assume you are talking about choosing a university for an undergraduate program, because making a choice for graduate school is infinitely more complex.

How do I evaluate the strength of my potential major(s) at a university?
    How would I evaluate the social atmosphere without visiting?
    How do I find out about the post-graduation outcomes of a particular university? (average starting salaries, unemployment rates of recent graduates, graduate school paths, etc)
    To what extent will the location or prestige of a university affect my career options after graduation, both in the US and at home?
    Should I be paying attention to housing options? (Would an international student struggle to secure a rent contract off campus?)
    What other factors should I be paying attention to? (a couple of examples: free tutoring, whether the dorms close during breaks, whether there's funding for unpaid summer internships or research on and/or off campus, whether there are established study abroad programs and whether there's financial support available for a study abroad, how helpful the career development office is, whether this university enrolls enough international students to be knowledgable about international student issues)

And maybe most importantly:

Are admissions offices a reliable source of information? (In most cases not!)
  • Ahmed315Ahmed315 Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    Yes, I'm talking about undergrad applicants' questions.

Thanks again for your help and support, b@r!um.
This discussion has been closed.