Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Got accepted to Buffalo and Utah.. which one do I go to?

kuksnationkuksnation Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in International Students
I'am an international student got accepted to UBuffalo and U of Utah for the 2013 spring semester for mechanical engineering. I am out of reasons to go to either, buffalo is ok and also I've got a couple of friends there so I won't be feeling lonely from the time I get there. But in Utah, I don't know anybody, and it seems that it has a better reputation for mechanical engineering. I don't know which aspect to use as a tie breaker... HELP?
Post edited by kuksnation on

Replies to: Got accepted to Buffalo and Utah.. which one do I go to?

• b@r!umb@r!um Posts: 9,441Registered User Senior Member
    I am not terribly familiar with either, so I'll only make a few general remarks.

1. If one university is significantly stronger in your major than the other, I would probably decide based on major.

2. If you want to stay and work in the US after college, consider which of the two universities has the stronger placement rate among its graduates. Also ask if the career development offices will help international students find employers who might sponsor them for a work visa.

3. Think about convenience. Is on-campus housing available and guaranteed? Do the universities close their dorms over school breaks? (Many do, and it's a huge hassle for students who can't easily go home for a week...) Is one university significantly easier to get to than the other? (Consider proximity to nearest airport, airfare to that airport, ground transportation options from airport to university, etc.)

4. Is one geographic area more appealing to you than the other? Where would you rather live? Did you have a chance to visit and make your own first impression?

5. Consider the social atmosphere. Is one university more diverse than the other? (i.e. Can you blend in as an international student, or would you stick out like a sore thumb?) Do they have different rates of out-of-state students? Do students typically go home on weekends or hang out on campus? What is the social atmosphere like?

6. Think about other services that the university might provide. Could you get free tutoring if you want it? Do they have legal/employment workshops specifically for international students? (My undergraduate college hired an immigration lawyer once per year to talk to us about the ever-changing work visa rules and strategies for working around visa limitations.) Under what circumstances what the university sponsor you for CPT (as opposed to OPT)? How competitive are on-campus jobs if you need/want one to supplement your budget or to gain some work experience?