Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

The Most Economical Way for International Students to go to College in USA

dannyusfdannyusf Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in International Students
Hello,

I am reaching out to the world in trying to get my friend to come to College in the United States and favorably Florida. She is from Ecuador and has a student visa. She studied two years in Texas, but the tuition was too expensive for her and she is now back in her country. I have been researching in ways to try to bring her to study here in Florida. I have looked at some State, Private and Community Institutions. It has been a really complicated process so far, but I would love to hear some advice and stories from people who have managed to achieve the cheapest possible route to study in the United States. I have heard stories about some Universities that have granted In State Tuition for International Students and also worked a deal with them that they must maintain a good GPA and work on campus. I have noticed that the best rates are the Community Colleges which some offer full four year degrees for In State Tuition and International. Private Institutions tend to have a lot of grant money for International Students, but they seem kind of complicated to get them. The Universities that I have been researching and reaching out to are these:

University of South Florida
University of South Florida St. Petersburg
Florida Golf Coast University
Eckerd College
St. Petersburg College

So what are your stories? Your advice? Are there people out there who can help me?

feel free to write me anytime at dmmcdon4@mail.usf.edu
Post edited by dannyusf on

Replies to: The Most Economical Way for International Students to go to College in USA

• happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 18,812Registered User Senior Member
    How much can she pay? What is her GPA from her first university? She will be a transfer, and financial aid for transfers usually is lousy. She is international, and the aid for internationals is lousy.

If she has absolutely stellar grades and recommendation, she might be able to transfer to one of the places that meet full need.

If her family can pay around $20,000 each year, she should look at the public universities that don't have separate prices for OOS students. Several in Minnesota and the Dakotas are like that.