Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Quick TOEFL (Speaking section) question.

DaveMercDaveMerc Posts: 50Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in International Students
Hey guys,

Assuming you work fast, is it allowed to write your Speaking answer on a paper before recording it?

ETS' TOEFL FAQ page states that you are permitted to take notes throughout the exam, but I'm asking this because I'm not familiar with how the test actually works. Do you decide when you are ready to answer by clicking a button? or does the test specify the exact timing for when you should give your 45-60 seconds answer? and can you re-record it?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Post edited by DaveMerc on

Replies to: Quick TOEFL (Speaking section) question.

• LelykeLelyke Posts: 567Registered User Member
    You can write what you'll say but that's near impossible. Writing a 45 second speech in 15 seconds and a 60 second speech in 30 seconds. I've tried its impossible although when you read from your script you tend to be more fluent. You don't get to choose when to respond, its automatic. So if you are still writing your speech, your response time will be going and a period of silence will be weird to your markers. The best thing I and everyone else does is to take short notes and points, that way you have more time to answer your questions.
  • Kili16Kili16 Posts: 167Registered User Junior Member
    You can always write the first thing you will say so that you avoid that blank moment where you organise everything mentally. But you can't really write more than a sentence in those 15 seconds