Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Looking for colleges&full need-based fin aid to apply to

Replies to: Looking for colleges&full need-based fin aid to apply to

• makennacomptonmakennacompton Registered User Posts: 469 Member
    re: "I thought that applying to many colleges may raise my chances of getting somewhere."

The statistics don't actually work like that. Consider the combination of your grades, test scores and activities (all kind of middle of the road, basically) as constituting a shallow pool. No matter how many times you dive in the pool (how many applications you make), the depth of the pool doesn't change and you will break your neck every time. You need to add colleges that will give you some "depth" -- that is, a greater chance of survival. State Universities in the US are out, mostly because they reserve aid for their own residents (otherwise, the politicians go nuts!). You are better off (purely from gathering acceptances with the possibility of scholarships attached) at mid-tier LACs who want to attract international students. These can be found in most of the States, such as Denison in Ohio and Dickinson in Pennsylvania or Ithaca or Union in New York.
  • karolinkarolin Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    Thank you very much for advice, @makennacompton!:)
  • BiologyMaster64BiologyMaster64 - Posts: 187 Junior Member
    Princeton has one of the most generous financial aid programs...I know many who aren't paying anything or are paying a couple thousand a year.
  • rhandcorhandco Registered User Posts: 4,212 Senior Member
    Agree with that - we are looking at 2100 SAT bare minimum for my son to target Ivies, and he is being recruited for sports. 2200 SAT is what students without anything special would need.

I know at the state school I teach at, there is absolutely no aid for international students. Be very careful and confirm everything in writing if money is a big issue for you. And you do have to be careful about the cost of books (sometimes $1000 per semester) plus whether housing is covered etc.
  • karolinkarolin Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    Thank you!

After I'm done with SAT II in October, I'm gonna get myself to read more about every university I've been considering and make a final list of those that I'm applying to.

As I would love to study in a big city or close to one, I've started looking for some colleges near Boston that offer fin aid for internationals.
    Is anyone able to tell me what my chances are at Tufts and Brandeis?:)
    I would be very grateful :)
  • International95International95 Registered User Posts: 1,573 Senior Member
    Don't forget to apply to Mt. Holyoke College. They love international students.
  • caribgurlcaribgurl Registered User Posts: 103 Junior Member
    WORK ON YOUR ESSAYS !! Put your heart and soul into them. And if any college fairs are in your area that are hosting colleges that interest you, attend. I attended one recently and two of my top choices for EA/ED were there. It helped me to make a decision on my early school. Also, as someone mentioned before, safety schools do not usually give money to internationals. And if you really want to apply to so many colleges, you should already have like 6 or 7 of those essays finished, because as school goes on, senioritis kicks and you will not have the time or energy to write so many essays.
  • OlipondOlipond Registered User Posts: 150 Junior Member
    Karolin, if you are an Olympic level volleyball player, then you stand a chance with the schools on your list. SAT thresholds are lowered for star athletes. And by star, I mean super elite. Otherwise, compared to other international applicants, I'm afraid you are not in the ball game, unless you have some super compelling story about surviving in war torn Iraq or something.
    Scrap your list, and look into smaller, religious based colleges-Holy Cross for example, or smaller schools that seek the diversity which you would offer. (Macalaster is known to give terrific international aid for example.)
    Bear in mind that many international applicants have taken each of the tests up to four times in order to better their score. (SAT, SATII, ACT etc.) I would say for your list 2250 is a bare min. absent some other compelling talent or bio.
  • fadaeefadaee Registered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
    ^Don't forget to apply to Mt. Holyoke College. They love international students.

And Earlham College! They are like %17 internationals!
  • eduard97eduard97 Registered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
    Scores are not that important. With a 2100 you are absolutely fine, although I have to admit that the OP's SAT score is a bit on the low side for many of the top schools.
  • GloogleGloogle Registered User Posts: 261 Junior Member
    You can try checking out the list they have here: http://collegerev.weebly.com/international-student-aid.html

Check the PDF file. It lists average amounts of aid awarded and the number of students given aid.

It's a bit old, but at least you see which colleges are generous to international students, because I'd say the same true up to now more or less. It helped me a lot with narrowing down my application list.
  • collegeteenscollegeteens Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    edited September 2014
    You must concentrate on you SAT score. Because it is very important. Other things are fine.
  • HvePassionHvePassion Registered User Posts: 431 Member
    I'm confused. For international students, I've always thought that it was very important for them to have an SAT score of at least 2250 to be competitive.
  • paul2752paul2752 Registered User Posts: 4,477 Senior Member
    edited September 2014
    This is your stat:

SAT I: 2040 (730 CR, 640 M, 670 W)
    SAT II: not taken yet but I hope for 700+ in Biology and Chemistry
    GPA unweighted: 3.68 though I'm gonna provide universities with my country's GPA and a description of our education system

Activities: athletics (volleyball) both in professional club and in school team (captain in 9th and 12th grade); foreign language courses; language training camps; foreign exchanges with 3 different countries; community service (for disabled people, hospice; English language volunteer tutor)

Awards: Finalist in National Geographical Contest and History&Journalism Contest. 3rd place in National Volleyball Tournament. Distinction in State/Regional History&Journalism contest and finalist in State/Regional English language contest for secondary schools.

With these stats, you will have very few chances to get the schools with FA. There are just many students with similar ECs/awards like you have. Your score SAT is too low and you should get at least 750+ in those subject tests to compete with other students. You have to be way more competitive as an international students.

Also, look into other schools that give automatic merit scholarships. For example, U of Alabama gives merit scholarships of full OOS tuition for 8 semesters with GPA 3.5 and Math+CR 1400 SAT 1.
    https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/1505285-automatic-out-of-state-tuition-waivers.html
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 29,759 Senior Member
    edited September 2014
    it depends where the student is from (some cultures, especially in Asia, emphasize standardized testing, resulting in students trained in taking them, vs. cultures where the SAT is the very first time students encounter a test that's not essay-based), whether English is their native language or a language they learned a couple years ago in school, what their results are in their national school system. Most importantly, they need to have achieved something extraordinary outside of class.
This discussion has been closed.